physically measuring lawns?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by DiSantolandscaping, Dec 13, 2011.

1. GMLC

GMLC LawnSite Platinum Member

These are kinda close. You will get the idea. But Excel is the way to go to customize and Access creates the data base to share the info with all other systems.

http://lawnchat.com/?page_id=341

2. lawnpropm

lawnpropm LawnSite Senior Member

Try google earth, or goilawn.com. I heard this is what companies like true greens use to give estimates.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. ralph02813

ralph02813 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Charlestown, RI

You can also use a combination of google earth with your local tax apparisser both fee. you get actual lot size for the tax off and kind of see the vegetation on google.

4. Lefet

Lefet LawnSite Bronze Member

We always measure with a wheel for ferts, never for cutting. I can eyeball a property to determine the value when cutting. I haven't gotten comfortable with those programs that would give you the sq ft for ferting. Maybe I just haven't found the right one.

5. ralph02813

ralph02813 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Charlestown, RI

I have only used both to give me an idea of what I am getting into before I get there. the tax info, gives you accurate square footage, but then you have to figure out what part is lawn and what is not.

6. CrownScapes

CrownScapes LawnSite Member

Mowing, edging,trimming and blowing I eyeball it, you can get good enough at it after a few, just walk the property to see obstacles and such. I will measure beds for mulch or measure corner lots because of edging. Pruning I charge by Bush, the size, hailing etc.

7. donahue_85

donahue_85 LawnSite Member

I always just walk any new potential lawns to figure out how much time I'll be spending there. Then, I figure out how much money I want to make per hour. Once you have those things in mind, usually you will be able to give a fair bid. :) Just be careful not to underbid yourself, like don't go to a lawn with 25 bushes that need to be hedged & a bunch of concrete that needs to be edged & bid the job for $80/month. Make SURE you spend the time to do your math & figure out how long you will be there & what exactly you will have to do for whatever dollar amount you want to charge per hour. This is where a lot of guys screw up. ;)

I may suggest to try to do your best to market to commercial properties as much as you can!! :clapping: This is where the $ is. :usflag:

8. JBNC

JBNC LawnSite Member

I can't speak for trugreen, but I work for a similar company and will say that the sales team goes out and measures every single yard. It's broken down in the sq/ft for the whole yard, front and sides, and back yard on every invoice.

9. wildstarblazer

wildstarblazer LawnSite Senior Member

Measuring for fertilzing is good so you know how much you need. The problem I have with these softwares and measuring every nook and crany is that just because the software tells me I should be charging $X amount, doesn't mean my customer is going to pay that.

10. donahue_85

donahue_85 LawnSite Member

I agree, that is something that a lot of guys don't see now a days. They seem to think that, hey, this yard is X amount so you need to pay X amount. NO!! It just doesn't work that way dude!!!

Now, you NEED to look to see how much time you will spend there & base it upon that, not how much is there to do!! This is where a LOT of guys screw up & loose business!!!

DON'T DO THAT TO YOURSELF!!!! :nono: :nono: :wall