pic. of a holly leaf. whats wrong?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by ant, Apr 6, 2003.

1. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

how can i correct and prevent this?

dcp00595.jpg

2. ant

dcp00594.jpg

3. ant

dcp00598.jpg

4. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Looks a bit like winter wind damage. Is it throughout the entire plant, on all trees??

Hold the leaf up to light and look for Miner trails and black "feces" pellets to rule that out (Which I dont think it is.)

Are the hollies on the north side of the building??

5. HBFOXJr

HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member

It is a leaf spot disease left over from last year.

6. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

Is this heavy on the plants, or just a few? Remember, most Hollies drop a few leaves about every 15 months, as new one grow. The leaves die out, turn brown and drop. Ever wonder why you see dead leaves on the ground under Hollies?

7. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

ant, i am seeing alot of damage on hollies, and boxwoods. did u trim these late last season?

8. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Leaf spot from last year.

9. lawnstudent

lawnstudent LawnSite Senior Member

Winter-burn is the dessication (drying-out) of an evergreen leaf due to wind and the inability of the roots to absorb moisture from frozen ground. Winter-burn is typically along the edges of the leaves exposed to the prevailing winter winds. It typically can be seen along one side of the bush/tree. This is the side exposed to the prevailing winter winds. All of the Hollies should show the same pattern of damage on the same side. Are the leaves affected on the same side of all of the Hollies?

From the leaf photographed on the seat of your vehicle, I would have to agree with HBFOXJr that it looks more like a leaf spot disease than winter-burn. If it is a leaf spot disease, you are not going to see the pattern of disease contained to one side of the shrub. Affected leaves will be more random, especially from one shrub to the next. Is the pattern random from one shrub to the next?

jim

10. HBFOXJr

HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member

As a curiosity killer or education exercise type "leaf spot holly" into a search engine such as google. It will return more than you ever want to know.

Cornell University published 2 books some years ago that are worth owning.

1. Insects that feed on trees and shrubs

2. Diseases of trees and shrubs