pic of my Giant Mow help with catcher

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by professorkev, Oct 25, 2007.

1. professorkev

professorkev LawnSite Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the mower my father in law handed down to me, about 9 years old? Ginat Vac - Giant Mow 32" mower. Before I took it he had it completely serviced at a Dealer (JD) at a cost of $242.

The thing looks like new and I believe less than 50 hours maybe even 30. So I have a few questions; based upon my only using it for residential on a 3/4 acre lot (my own).

1) being that I would only bag ocassionaly and for fall leaves, is it more justified to just get the gobbler instead of the more expensive Accelerator?

2) Should I get the 3.4 version or the 4.1 size version? would weight matter being that it's only a 32"?

3) The JD shop replaced the blades with some regular blades (2 for $23). It cuts great (first time) but the cut grass doesn;t compare to when a pro mowed my lawn earlier in the year. the grass cliipings were what you see in a babrer shop vesus the larger clippings I get now. Just didn't know if there is a better differently designed blade to get to get that fine chopped up clippings like I saw by the pro.

Over all I am thrilled with the mowing of the lawn because the JD 21" I have just made lawn mowing tedious and long. I'd appreciate the help of you guys so that I may order my catcher on friday and get it here in time for leaf pickup.

2. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

Grass Gobbler catchers are awesome, they're what I have on my mowers, I use them to bag every week and they stand up to abuse like it's nothing! I have the larger 4.3 on my 36" Toro WB (my smaller WB)- no problems at all! I'd look into high lift or gator mulching blades if you're having clippings issues. Good luck with the machine- take care of it and it'll take care of you!

3. professorkev

Seems like people feel it's a no brainer to get the larger one instead of the smaller one. What would be a reason for someone to get the smaller one?

High lift I have thought about, but the gator mulching would mean I'd have to cover the output on the deck, right?

4. professorkev

I think I'm leqaning towards gobbler due to cost savigns. Where does one get a palte to put in fron of the shoot if I chose to do mulcing?