Pic of repair I need help with.

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Armadillolawncare, Feb 2, 2008.

1. Armadillolawncare

Armadillolawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I need help with this please. I believe that I can repair this but want to run it by you pros first. You were very helpful when I had to do my first pipe crack and you walked me thru using a slip fix to repair the leak. This time the pipe is cracked right where it enters the valve. There is not enough pipe , actually there is no pipe left between the crack and the valve. If you look at the picture the crack is on the left side in the glue right next to the valve. What I believe I need to do is cut out the valve, then glue a new valve onto one side of the existing pipe. Then on the other side glue in about a 1 foot piece of pipe then use a slip fix to connect the 1 foot pipe to the existing pipe. I believe I need to replace the valve because I have no way to remove the broken pipe that is glued into it. Does this sound right?

broken valve.jpg

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds about right.

3. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

The kicker is if the valve is butted up to a tee.

If it is, then you need to replace the tee and its a bit of a pain.

Instead of using a slipfix, I'd use 4 elbows to lower the valve, the reason it broke is because the solenoid is sitting too high and/or the valvebox is resting on the pipe.

4. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

Agreed valve needs to be lower if it sits as high as it looks like it does.

Too bad there are no adapters on that valve, then no need to replace. If the pipe is cracked where it is gloed into the valve, then it must be replaced. Finished pics required...

5. eagle irrigation

eagle irrigation LawnSite Member

YES The valve is too high you must lower it or it willbreak again. You can see where the valve box lid is squashing the solenoid wire every time the mower goes over it. Redo the tee, leave room for future replacement, and use a 10" round valve box.

6. Evomr

Evomr LawnSite Member

turn the water off at backflow or closest shut off... Dig it up pull box out cut the pipe that comes out of the ground from the main, put 90 slipxthreaded thread valve on with teflon tape make sure the top of the solenoid is 2inch lower then where the valvebox cover sits incase off settling. then use threadedxslip coupler for other side might need to cut lateral pipe to add few inch to make up for cut pipe.

so cut main at desired height add 90 then nipple then valve then nipple then threaded by slip coupler then off to lateral line..
    if that makes sence lol

7. Don't replace with the same valve. That valve is a piece of junk. Upgrade to a valve with a flow control.

8. We no longer use the Hunter flow control PGV..We found that the flow control knob dislodges out of the top of the bonnet.

9. Evomr

Evomr LawnSite Member

no point in flow control when you usually need 100% of pressure anyway.. If anything i would replace that solenoid on that valve and leave the same valve in.. make sure its clean and no debris in the pipe your cutting or valve

10. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

You do see the break that is directly at the glued joint in that picture right?

That valve is toast.