1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Pic of upgraded fleet

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DFW Area Landscaper, Feb 15, 2007.

1. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

We added three F-150's to the fleet this year. One is dedicated to chemical applications. We took this picture of them together this morning.

It is a LOT of work to add a new truck/trailer and equip it with everything that is needed. Wish there was a way to drive to ONE place and buy everything at once. I have been on a non-stop errand since November. Glad the errand running is finally over with.

If a tornado should hit our storage facility and destroy all the trucks and trailers at once, we would lose the entire business. It would be impossible to re-purchase everything and make the necessary modifications and installations before our clients all cancelled.

DFW Area Landscaper

Fleet of 8 50K 1.2.JPG
  2. T.E.

T.E. LawnSite Senior Member

Looks good. Good luck in the up coming season. Later, Tony
  3. wowmowwow

wowmowwow LawnSite Member

i love it....i have One no bell, no whistle six cyl long bed...

4. Mr.Mow-It-All

Mr.Mow-It-All LawnSite Senior Member

Very Nice!!!! What do you use the 4door nissan for?
  5. DFW Area Landscaper

from DFW, TX

The 4 door Nissan is actually my personal truck. Up until this winter, I have hauled a Lesco 50 gal spray rig with hose reel in the bed...very ugly for a personal vehicle. On chemical days, my worker would leave the long bed F-150 at my house and he'd drive my Nissan for the day and then we'd swap out again when he was done at the end of the day. I am glad to have a dedicated vehicle for this. The graphics on my Nissan will be coming off as soon as it warms up.

DFW Area Landscaper
  6. Swampy

Swampy LawnSite Bronze Member

I wouldn't worry about losing accounts if a tornado hit. I'm pretty sure your clients would have a lot of other things on their minds.

But hey nice fleet wish we had more trucks we only got three to start off this year.
  7. Mr.Mow-It-All

Mr.Mow-It-All LawnSite Senior Member

Well I kind of figured it was your run around truck. Congrats on the biz. I have always enjoyed your post and find that you have a lot of good "pratical" advice, and real world problems and ideas. Not to mention being a fellow cowboy fan I love your avitar.

8. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Fleet looks good! Do you plan on adding any trucks for the upcomming season?
  9. Vikings

Vikings LawnSite Bronze Member
    from canada

Tornado? I thought You let them take the vehicles home, I remember reading that because I thought it was a bad idea. But your fleet looks awesome.
  10. DFW Area Landscaper

from DFW, TX

I absolutely will not be adding any more trucks next winter. I did not get any time off this winter and I am already looking forward to the end of the season. I am sick of the business already and the phone hasn't even started ringing yet.

We start spring scalps tomorrow so the phone will start ringing tomorrow. I still have 8 Honda mowers to rebuild and the last one took me around 10 hours or so. It still won't run because of a bad tranny that I am waiting for parts on.

As for letting the drivers take the trucks home at night, we ended that 2 years ago. A parking bill at a secure facility is probably cheaper than the repairs that come up with the personal miles. Plus, a parking bill is a lot easier than a repair, even if you outsource the repairs to a shop.

Hopefully this investment will pay off. I am forecasting EBITDA of $150K this year if all goes as planned and around $190K for 2008 with no additional trucks. Time will tell.

DFW Area Landscaper