1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Picea Abies saplings need advice

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by luckylawnboy, Mar 20, 2001.

1. luckylawnboy

luckylawnboy LawnSite Senior Member

I need some advice from tree growers out there. WE just planted about 100 Norway Spruce saplings that are about 8" t0 12" tall. We are using them for a wind break and want to get maximum growth as quick as possible. Any suggestion on watering, fertilization would be a help. We put them in the groung March 18 2001.

2. Lanelle

Lanelle LawnSite Bronze Member

Did you say 8 - 12 inches tall? That's a liner, not even a sapling. You'll be waiting quite a while for those to grow into a windbreak. They are moderate to slow growers. You might consider putting in some Leyland Cypress for a rapid-growing tree.

3. steveair

steveair LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes, those are small.

I would suggest watering regularly, especially if it gets hot this summer. They will burn out quick.

Also, keep all vegetation/weeds away from them. I would use a piece of fabric about 3 feet wide and then mulch for the row. They will get out gunned by any/all weeds and grass growing around them. Also, will be very important to continue this for years to come, either by spraying or mechanical methods.

Saw a study done at a christmas tree farm once, and the difference between the trees that were kept weed free and the trees that had grass/weeds around them was drastic, like 2 feet + for some over 5 years.

steveair.