Pick my chainsaw

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by meathead1134, Jul 30, 2004.

1. meathead1134

meathead1134 LawnSite Senior Member

OK Here is the scoop I've been looking for a good chainsaw. I've it narrowed down to 2 the husqvarna rancher or the stihl MS 290 farm boss. I went to the dealer that sells both and e recommends the stihl. I was looking for opinions on both. There is only a 10 dollar difference between the saws and they both come with and 18 bar. Any input would be gladly appreciated

2. selnoil

selnoil LawnSite Member

I was a stihl chainsaw guy until about 6 years ago when I fell in Love with the Husqvarna saws. When I used to work for the town we used echo then they bought us 3 Huskys. Well everyone loved them. We'd have to do a drawng in the AM to see who got them. Personally, my family has a tree farm and we always had stihls til I brought one of the Huskys home so everyone could try one. Since then its been the Husqvarna all the way.

The Huskys are light, tough, easier on fuel/oil, and much less tiresome to use. They are very comfortable to operate. Now the stihls fell heavier and cumbersome to use.

Just my thoughts its really up to you.
  3. drains

drains LawnSite Member

I have owned a Husky 55 Rancher w/20" bar for 3 years and it has been to the shop once for repair and that was my fault. Whichever one of the two you choose you really cant go wrong though. After looking at both, I was satisfied that either one would be up to any task I had to do.
  4. meathead1134

meathead1134 LawnSite Senior Member

Well it's really up to you guys thats why I'm asking I have zero experience with both all I've got is a crappy saw. Thanks thats 1 for Husky
  5. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

I own a Stihl MS 310 and have had trouble with it. Nothing real major, but its not what it should be. All my tree friends run Husqvarnas and nothing else. I'll be running one next saw purchase.

I am very pleased will all my other stihl 2 cycle stuff. 2 BP blowers, 2 trimmers, 1 pole saw, 1 edger.

I own 1 Husqvarna hedge trimmer and its a very good piece of equipment.

I would buy the Husqvarna saw...........IMO

Oh.....the guy selling the saw is probably making a better comm. on the stihl.
  6. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

Get the Stihl!!!!! I love my Stihl MS250C chainsaw!!!!!
  7. Up North

Up North LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MN

I have the Husky 41 (now is the 141) which initially was bought as a trim saw and cleaning up some hunting trails. But last year we bought a house that heats via an outdoor woodstove. I cut 15 cords of wood with that little saw last fall & winter and it still runs perfect. I will upgrade this year to probably the 357 or 359, it will cut down on my cutting time.

My father in law has the Stihl 029 and that thing cuts very good as well, but he goes through fuel pretty quick.

Personally I'd stick with my Husky, my dad & grandpa always ran them and never had a problem either.

8. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

My father-in-law runs only Husky in his logging operation.

Switched over from Stihl a few years back...
  9. Birddog Lawncare

Birddog Lawncare LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

My grandfather has a farm, and he has had the same two Stihl chainsaws for over 10 years. I have personally cut down a ton of trees with these same two saws. I also have seven uncles and alot of cousins that always borrow the same two saws and those damn things just keep on going. I know for a fact that these saws have been overused and probably abused more than they should have been, and they kkep on cutting.

Personally, never used any Husky equipment.
  10. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Meat, do yourself a big favor and DO NOT get the 290 stihl. That said, understand I say that having a great deal of experience with stihl saws...The 290,310 and 390 saws are all part of the same basic design group and to put into layman's terms, they are homeowner Turds and are unfortunately NOT built to the traditional stihl QC..Stihl makes some great products, and the 290 ain't one of them. In your case I'd get a ms260 pro stihl, or go with the husky...