Pick my Parts!

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by SpreadNSpray, Feb 24, 2008.

1. SpreadNSpray

SpreadNSpray LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

I'm looking to install a top of the line irrigation system on my own lawn. I have 2 acres of turf. I have a well with a 3hp pump. 28 gpm @ the pressure tank. I will be working with an irrigation company to pull the pipe and mark heads. Me and my employee's will be the laborers, installing heads, valves and doing grunt work.

I'm looking for opinions on what are the best heads, valves and controlers. I can purchase all brands: Hunter, Toro, Rain bird, Irritroll ect..

Set me up!
  2. sbvfd592

sbvfd592 LawnSite Senior Member

On my own yard I have various rainbird rotters and sprays. 3000,5000's. valves i have hunter HPV's as for the controller i have the irritrol pc controller. just because I like to play with it.
  3. I'd go all RB commercial stuff and a Weathermatic Smartline controller with a weather monitor. Hunter rotors are fine as well.
  4. Rain Bird PEB valves, Hunter I-20 ultra rotors, Rain bird 1800 series spray heads and a Weathermatic smartline with weather monitor....
  5. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

6. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Hey, he could have two acres of watercress.
  7. LR you becoming a fan or the WM SL? I wasn't sure where you stood on that. Did they resolve your issues with it to your satisfaction?
  8. bdb

bdb LawnSite Member

Couple questions for you. Where in MN do you live? 28 GPM at what PSI? An if I may who will be helping you...really comes down to preference. This market is big Hunter. But there is a few of contractors installing the Smartline controller. I know people go either way. Some love and hate then vise-versa. Just get something that isn't a PIA to get just one of if you would ever need parts.
  9. SpreadNSpray

SpreadNSpray LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

The pressure gage reads 70psi. The pump is a 3hp variable speed constant pressure pump. I sub out irrigation work to a company that will most likely design the system and pull the pipe. The choice of brands is up to me. I have accounts with the distributors. Are you interested in design and pulling the pipe? If so shoot me a p.m.

Right now I'm leaning toward Hunter and looking at Rainbird and the WMSL
    Thanks for all the recommendations on parts so far.
  10. Ferti-man

Ferti-man LawnSite Senior Member

Is your well bottomless, or will you need a recovery period between runs? I have a few customers on wells out here and they have tho cycle / soak to allow well to keep up!
    I'm partial to the Hunter slow close valves and I-20 heads if appropriate for your landscape. The WM SL controller set up to manage the flow. If water is dirty, the Rainbird PEB valves may be the way to go though. Keep the heads the same per zone and match the precipitation with the nozzles! If you use a number 8 for full turn head, DO NOT use a # 8 for corner or half turn heads. This is very common for installers to do, so keep an eye on this.
    Good luck!