Pick My Walk-Behind

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by joeycats, Feb 9, 2005.

?

Best Overall Brand For A Lawn Mowing Business

1. Exmark

15 vote(s)
    39.5%
  2. Scag

8 vote(s)
    21.1%
  3. JohnDeere

7 vote(s)
    18.4%
  4. BobCat

3 vote(s)
    7.9%
  5. Hustler

5 vote(s)
    13.2%
  1. joeycats

joeycats LawnSite Member

Pick My Mower

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am going on my second season as an owner/operator. Last season I used a Bunton 48" fixed deck gear drive walk behind. That is going to be my backup. I have more customers lined up already for this season. I also just dropped a nice chunk of change on a quarter page ad in the yellow pages. My customer base will grower!! I need to know with what brand I should build my empire with! Thanks for your help!

2. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

You forgot ferris!

3. Eric 1

Eric 1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I just replied to your other thread, why did you post it again?

4. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

so did I.

anyway I bleed green, but a dealer with excellent service is what counts the most. be sure whatever you buy, they will keep ya going if something breaks down. :D

5. joeycats

joeycats LawnSite Member

Is Ferris
    really a better machine because of their suspension?

6. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Ferris Riders are awesome with the suspension! Heavy built units too.

Don't have any experience with their walk behinds, but I don't see any advantage of them over any other brand. For walk behinds I would really pick Exmark, they have many more innovations and product features than any others, and the cut is superior to anything i've seen. I have an Exmark TTHP hydro 52" w/b and love it to death. I was really impressed with Exmark Lazer zero turns until I tried a Ferris with the suspension... I went home with a Ferris. I do wish it had an Exmark deck mounted under it at times, but usually it does an excellent job. The ride is just sweet, and it contour mows better and will get better traction on hillsides than others due to the suspension lets the drive tires maintain constant traction.

So if you are looking for the best walk behind, check out Exmark. If you are looking for one company to provide both machines, Exmark is cool, Lazer's are sweet. But also look into Ferris- that suspension will blow away anything else.

7. J.Gordon

J.Gordon LawnSite Senior Member

If Hustler didn’t have the H-bar, it would have been a toss up between Hustler and Scag. Both are built to run forever, but the H-bar made it a simple choice for me. Demo one and see which one you like the best.