Pick the best mower for the job

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by brucec32, Jan 21, 2005.

1. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I need a mower to handle small/medium properties mowing Bermudagrass and some Fescue. I will have another mower available to handle larger wide open properties, but being able to back up the larger mower would be a plus. Curious what folks think does the job the best.

Requirements:

1. Mulches well
    2. Size 48" deck or smaller for gate access.
    3. Must be able to handle rolling uneven terrain w/o scalping
    4. Must be able to quickly adjust mowing height within 1" -1.5" range
    5. Must be hydro powered
    6. Must be easy on the operator. Sulky minimum, riding on unit is better.
    7. Must handle some hills from time to time. Can pull out the 21" for the really bad ones but don't want to spend much time with that.
    8. Must be reliable and from major brand.
    9. Must leave an excellent cut w/o damaging turf.

2. Cobra Jock

Cobra Jock LawnSite Member

Personnally, I think that you need to check out the Super Walk Behind from Hustler. 48 inch deck. 23 HP by Kawasaki. Expensive, but available ride-on sulky ($800-900.00 range ouch). Great bulletproof mower that will last for years. I also like the t-bar steering. Check it out! :cool2:

Greg

3. Brianj

Brianj LawnSite Member

get a walker.!!!!u want be sorry

4. brucec32

Good choices both! I had toyed with getting the Hustler in the past. My concerns with it were a) no serious dealers nearby, b) differing opinions on how well it mulches and cuts, c) it is rather long

The Walkers are perfect for this type of cutting except a) they are pricey, b) they may take up more space on a trailer than I have available, and I'm not getting a bigger one, c) they get even more pricey when you want extra power for mulching.

But both are still in the running. No mower is perfect, it seems.

5. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Bruce, I dont know how my grass here in south Georgia compares with what you are mowing in south Florida, but as I have posted here several times my 717 mulches the best of any mower I have ever tried. I could not vacum and make it look any better. We recently got a Hustler dealer in my area but they are very pricey compared to what I paid. My 717 handle slopes good to, but have not tried it on any real steep ones. I have never used a walk behind so I cant say much about them. I need to learn how to post pics so I can show what a bad before and after yard looks like with my 717. Good luck. BTW, I though you were moving back to Georgia?

6. brucec32

I am moving back to the Atlanta area soon, though I'll have an apt in Florida too. (long story).

the JD is, I assume, a mid mount rider? I'd prefer something that could handle more hills, since I wouldn't have room for a wb on the trailer as well as two riders.

I did some more reading on the Walkers and they just might fit the bill. They seem to have a good hill holding rep, a great cut on fine turf, and their low speed isn't a problem on the small tight lawns I'd be using them on. I also like the 42" deck size, small enough to get through more gates but more productive than 36". I could keep the cost down since I don't need the more complex and expensive models, just a SD model B or C.

My question is...how do they mulch?

Pluses....they offer a "perfaerator" attachment and I had been looking for a easier to use aerator anyway, and a deck lift/adjustment option is now offered.

7. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Bruce, the Walkers are very popular in my area, but I have never seen one used with a mulcher or side discharge, only bagging. I will way they bag fantastic! And yes Ive seen times a smaller deck would be nice, like a 42 or smaller. Sorry, wished I had more info to offer.

8. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd look for a 44" or 48" Toro Z Master or Exmark Lazer.

9. green acres lawns

green acres lawns LawnSite Senior Member

Walker has a new model MB. 8 mph, 36" to 56" front mount side discharge decks and 42" mulcher. Should be priced right too.

10. Eagle Lawn Care

Eagle Lawn Care LawnSite Member
    from ga

I was wondering if any body had any input on gravely mowers about how they last and the does and donts if any one had some input that would be great. thanks