pick up small sticks or mow over them ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by redmax fan, Jun 12, 2009.

1. redmax fan

redmax fan LawnSite Bronze Member

i dont mow much , my partner mows and i whip . and he always picks up most the sticks in yards including ones like round as a baby finger and like 6" long .
    well im always saying that the blades dont even hit most of them and that even the ones that are hit dont dull the blades up fast enough to waste the time picking them up . and thusly its a waste of time picking up sticks say smaller than 3/4" in diameter and a foot long . but i dont run the mowers much so not sure how quickly hitting the sticks dulls up blades . so i was wondering others outlook on it ?

2. IMAGE

IMAGE LawnSite Bronze Member
    from midwest

i mow em all

3. Icepuck72

Icepuck72 LawnSite Senior Member

If I worried about all of the sticks and pine cones, I'd never get any mowing done.....

4. jr_golf

jr_golf LawnSite Member

Never pick'em up, too much time.

5. Think Green

Think Green LawnSite Silver Member

With highly powered ZTR's, the BTS is 15,000 FPS, and with multiple hits from sticks of all sizes the blades will take a pounding and dull quickly. Walk Behind mowers will go through the same abuse from debris of all sizes. Push--trim mowers that are in the 21" category will not dull as quickly. The thing to realize, is that mowers have shear pins on the blade adapters, and abuse from debris will eventually tear them up.
    But as far as the blades being destroyed or dulled, it is a never ending process. We sharpen our blades as many as 2-3 times a week and replace blades every two weeks. This is from normal turfgrass mowing, let alone mowing up sticks.........
    It is the professionalism of stick clean-up that we pride ourselves in while mowing all accounts. The employees are told to cleanup the sticks, no matter how large or small they are. Clean lawns are just part of our quality program.
    Now, to me personally, I chew the crap out of the extra small sticks with my Walker mower. It is all a matter of knowing just what you can and can't mow! When it comes to the employees doing it,,,,,,,,,,they are encouraged to pick them up....!

6. 4.3mudder

4.3mudder LawnSite Silver Member

I over them. Anything over 1 inch diamter I pick up, while mowing that is. I have one of the, graber things.

7. Dave_005

Dave_005 LawnSite Senior Member

just mow over them ! pick up any Big Branches but everything else just mow over them

8. Green Machine Mowing

Green Machine Mowing LawnSite Member

and all this time i thought this is what they meant by "mulching" with your mower

i run them over, i hit them or i dont, dosent make any diffrince to me

9. blake101

blake101 LawnSite Senior Member

mow and keep going...

10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I don't worry about dulling the blades, but I DO worry about bending one.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2009