pick up truck ramp????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ashs inc, Feb 26, 2012.

1. ashs inc

ashs inc LawnSite Senior Member
    from alabama

I have picked up several small residential yards. My guys always have problem driving with a trailer. So i remember seeing some pick up trucks with ramps that fold up or i remember seeing a ford ranger with some sort of bed extender with ramp built on. does any body have any ideas?
    thanks

2. orangemower

orangemower LawnSite Silver Member
    from pa

Google tailgate ramps and you'll have a list of sites to check out.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. j-ville native

j-ville native LawnSite Senior Member

Why are your guys having trouble driving a trailer? How big is it? Can't be too big if all the stuff on your trailer would also fit in a truck bed. Or, are the customer's lawns so small that there's not enough room to park a truck & trailer out front? Truck ramps are a cool idea, but they're not very practical. First off, one of those ramps costs more than a good used trailer. Loading/unloading time, and getting stuff out of a pickup bed is a pain and takes longer vs a trailer. Also, if all the equipment is in the truck bed, where do throw all the yard waste? You'd have to leave the yard waste at the customer's house which doesn't look good. Also, you'd waste a lot of time bagging it up. I know you didn't ask for opinions on working out of a truck bed but I'm just trying to save you from a decision you may regret. The reason why you can't find any decent truck bed ramps for sale online is because that setup just doesn't cut it

4. Salcido Lawn

Salcido Lawn LawnSite Member

All of my crews use trucks with a ramp on the back. The fuel savings in incredible! On 1 truck alone, I am saving $100 a WEEK in fuel!! I only use a trailer to haul my John Deere 1600 (batwing mower). I'll try to upload pics later.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. j-ville native

j-ville native LawnSite Senior Member

I think ashs wants to know where you got your ramp and what you paid for it and I'd like to know what do you do with all the yard waste?

6. ashs inc

from alabama

yeah we use a f150 extended cab and a 12 foot trailer. the problem comes in where we pull up and not block the house were cutting drive way but when they drop the gate it blocks the other houses drive way. Just thought one day a week load up one walk behind in the back of truck 2 weed trimmers edger and blower and take care of these lots. just not sure the best way of getting a 36 inch walk behind in back of truck.

7. Salcido Lawn

When I said that I use truck beds, I should have clarified. I use flat bed trucks. One is an 8' bed, 12' bed 16' bed & a 20' bed. As far as the ramps go, I looked around at the different options that were available, and they were just too expensive!! So I bought a welder, taught myself how to weld & made my own ramps. It costs me about $500 in metal + my own time. Compared to $2,500 from a welding shop.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. ashs inc

from alabama

would love to see pics of them

9. RLS24

RLS24 LawnSite Bronze Member

This is how I started mowing lawns a few years back:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was a great setup at the time, but once I got a trailer I never looked back. I was able to get my 48" WB and a 21" in there, in the one pic it looks like there is a lot of extra space but trust me it was all a tight fit. That ramp was built like freekin rock though, better than the ramp on my actual trailer! It was nice cuz when it was unfolded it had that beaver-tail effect to it and it also had a little gas shock like on a car hood that you could fold it with 2 fingers. It just slid into the hitch and then rested on the tailgate. It was adjustable to fit just about anything. My only complaint was you HAD to leave the tailgate down all the time, and 1 person could not take the thing on and of alone, that was at least a 2 person job cut the thing was awkward to move and VERY heavy. As far as the whole process is with mowing with a rig like this, it's more difficult than you'd think. You can't bag anything because theres no room for a bag or to dump grass, and as dumb as this sounds, it gets rather tiring walking up and down that ramp (which is rather steep) all day and climbing over stuff to get equipment out. Having racks on the side of a trailer where you can just walk up to it on ground level and get what you need rather than climbing in and out of a truck is something you wouldnt think about. When I first started and I was only cutting like 15 lawns a week, it worked great. But from there on out like I said I got a trailer and never looked back.

10. Salcido Lawn

Here are a few pics. The Chevy has an 8' bed (Not ideal, 12' & longer is needed) The Ford is a 12' bed.

IMG_3784.jpg

IMG_3785.jpg

IMG_3786.jpg

IMG_3787.jpg

IMG_3790.jpg

IMG_3791.jpg

IMG_3793.jpg