1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Picked Up 2 Accounts today

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by joeg2246, Jun 21, 2005.

1. joeg2246

joeg2246 LawnSite Member

I was referred to a Father and Son In Law across the street from one of my accounts today. They live next door to each other.
    I met with them this morning after walking both properties.
    I figured one yard ( .21 acre ) for $90 per month and the other ( .18 acre ) for $80 per month.
    I started talking to get a feel for what they wanted because, the guy doing their yard was really cutting corners bad.
    I said to him "If you don't mind me asking what are you paying the guy doing it now?" he told me $45 per month. I said "Whoa Really" I told him it is going to be hard for me to get your business.
    He asked me my rate and I told him then I walked him around and showed him how the other guy was doing it so cheap.
    Bottom line is I told him to look at his neighbors yard across the street at how I do things.
    He then told me I could start July 1 after his contract is up with the other guy.
    I guess some people are willing to pay for quality work.!!!!
  2. LALawnboy

LALawnboy LawnSite Senior Member

congrats on that. i've picked up a few yards by doing the same tactic: pointing out what their current lawnboy, who has no pride in his work, is doing wrong.
  3. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

I work in the same area as you. Is that Cocoa proper or actually PSJ? Just to let you know I am batting about 40-50% on my bids with my minimum being $85 monthly (year round) for mow, edge, line trim and blow. Depending on the conditons, plantings etc I go as high as $130 for same on 1/4 acre with similar closure rates.
  4. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I have a question?, there are 4 months in a year that have 5 weeks in them, I figure in the winter months that may not be a problem with skipping a week, but what about during the growing season and the 2 months that have 5 weeks. Instead of 20 bux a cut you are down to about 16 bux a cut that month. Does the slack time in the winter months make up for it or how do yall FLA guys figure that? Just curious

JOEWOOD LawnSite Member

Keep up the Good Work!

Joe... :waving:
  6. Precision

I figure it as 42 cuts per year and price accordingly. I don't care how many cuts per month in a certain month. Most of the time 4 sometimes 5 sometimes two. It all comes out in the wash.
  7. LightningLawns

LightningLawns LawnSite Senior Member

how many accounts do you have precision? It seems very hard in our area to get people to agree to higher prices. We have a lot of low ballers running around.
  8. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I understand some more now, I was looking at the year round price and figuring you were there every week 52 weeks a year. I wasnt sure how many weeks yall cut down there
  9. hesscapes

hesscapes LawnSite Member

congrats on picking up those accounts! Do you set up contracts for your residential customers ? If so do you make them pay up front ? Just curious. Just starting out and trying to figure out the best way to go.
  10. Precision

Had a bit of churn recently, but am in the neighborhood of 70 with 3 being small (and 1 medium) commercial. Looking to bid a big one this week. (big as in 4 people 10 hour day)

Higher prices are based on looking professional, acting professional, making them wait until you can both be on the property to give the estimate, showing up for the estimate freshly showered and dressed in khaki's and a collared shirt, Using preprinted estimate forms/contracts AND bidding every property as full service while offering the basics at a price higher than they might have thought, but way lower than full service.

I get 35-40% of my bids, so I think my prices pretty right.