picked up a ferris w/b today

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by wallyturcotte, May 5, 2008.

1. wallyturcotte

wallyturcotte LawnSite Member

today i bought a 13hp 48 hydro 2002 with about 300 hr on it...... paid $2300 .... are these mowers any good? and did i over pay?

2. wallyturcotte

oh ... and it came with brand new blades.....

3. DillonsLawnCare

DillonsLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

well, the 13hp kawi seems like a little too small for that 48" deck, but considering its a hydro, good deal.

4. mowingpreacherman

mowingpreacherman LawnSite Member

I got a 2004 Ferris Hydrowalk SD 36 a month ago and really like it. It is a solid machine with good power and cut. It pulls me (205 lbs.) on a sulkey without a problem. The Kawasaki starts on the first pull. I like the thumb controls, but they can be hard to work in concert with the brakes. Sometimes, instead of using the brakes, I will move my body so much to make a turn I feel like I am skiing with the sulkey. I don't know if that is normal since this is my first WB.

I'm very proud of mine and hope to make some good money with it. I'm sure you will enjoy yours.

5. wallyturcotte

this machine i bought has the thumb controls and the disk brakes on either side.... i've herd some guys say that the single hydro mowers are POS .....and i think this is a single but not sure...... have no idea. if anyone has used one of these let me know.....

6. thezaz

thezaz LawnSite Member

I have a ferris I love it works great blade's run 60 for mine but thats a thick mulch blade. I agree the 13hp sound small. price sounds good there 36" new goes for around 2500

7. gandk06

gandk06 LawnSite Senior Member

I have the 36/13 kawi sd and really like it. mine is an 04 with 150 hours and got it for $650. It was a great deal that I could not pass on.

The single hydro works fine for me. It does not get run all day only on smaller yards. It could get a bit heavy if it were run all day, though.

8. 81Bronk36

81Bronk36 LawnSite Member

Hopefully it has a seperate bolt in the spindle for the blade... mine has a bolt that goes all the way threw, you have to loosen the belt to change blades:dizzy:

9. lawnkingforever

lawnkingforever LawnSite Bronze Member

Local dealer has 13HP KAW 48" WB, Ferris. He took it in on trade, it is about 7 yrs. old. He told me he would sell it to me for 1200$. It is in good condition, it seems a little big for a 48 WB. If he still has it, I might get it this weekend.

10. wallyturcotte

i used mine today on my own lawn..... has plenty of power for a 13hp 48 .....( dry grass)....leaves a nice cut ....... will climb any hill just not sideways......... very impressed with it so far i thought it was going to be a POS....... will take a few more days to get used to the braking and thumb control............