picked up my new tiger cub today... 1st cut post maintainence

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cannondale23, Sep 6, 2007.

1. cannondale23

cannondale23 LawnSite Member

Thanks for helping me make my decision, I went with the
    tiger cub STC48V-26BS, as well as the 3 bag grass catcher, I couldn't be happier. My other two choices were 717a and 1500z.

Will mow my lawn for the first time in 4 wks with it tomorrow.

I put pam under the cutting deck tonight. Any tips on equipment cleaning after the end of the day. I noticed the Ferris Quest has a spot on top of the cutting deck where a garden hose can attach and you run the blades while the water is on to clean under the deck. Is this necessary after each cut.
    I figure at a minimum I should check the air filter after each cut to make sure it's clean.
    Thanks

2. joshco84

joshco84 LawnSite Senior Member

at the end of the day blow it off real good with an air compressor, make sure to blow out everything under the seat and the wheel motors real well. make sure the grass isnt built up bad under the deck. if it is, it is a lot easier to scrape off when it is not all crusted on.

3. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

First of all, be sure to give EVERYTHING the once-over before ever starting.
    It's not odd at all to find something major overlooked from dealer setup.

Then from there forward, give it a quick once-over at the start of each day.

Remember to change the oil and filter for the first time at 5-10 hours.
    Then again at 25, 50, 75, 100.

I doubt the deck will need scraping.
    When it does, just hit it with a flexable putty knife.
    Buy a set of variable widths.

4. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

DON'T MESS WITH THE AIR FILTER! You will damage the machine more by over servicing an air filter. I change mine every 250 hours.

5. cannondale23

cannondale23 LawnSite Member

So I cut my lawn with the ztr in under an hour, it use to take 4, the fact that I walked in the house only once with grassy shoes..priceless :)

Since I'm not efficient with the ztr, this task I could probably accomplish to some extent with my moms tractor, what impressed me with the ztr is the easy of use, smooooth wheel gear and hydro pump action, i was practically gliding on the grass, only had a few tears in the grass when i made quick turns at relatively fast speed. The rear wheels chewed up the grass.

clean up after first cut consisted of blowing off the ztr using a compressor, cheked the oil, wheel motors for leaks, then cleaned the air filter, to my surprise the cartridge was full of dirt and debris (my yard has a few small dirt patches and I was bagging ) do all of you tiger cub owners with a 26hp BS ELS clean the air cartridge daily?

Being a mechanics offspring, to me that air cleaner cover just doesn't seem like it's designed to keep dirt out ??

thoughts... thanks

6. IHusky

IHusky LawnSite Senior Member

Just follow your maintaince schedule and you'll be fine. The Scags are built not to break. I see them at my dealer all the time and some look like they've been to H_ll and back. If your just doing your yard, that Cub will outlast you.
    Learn to do three point turns and don't drive like a bat out of H_ll if you don't want turf tear.

7. T Total Lawncare

T Total Lawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from The deep south

Well it keeps a good bit out but the filter is what keeps the dirt out of the engine. First the air is sucked through the little gray valve into the first stage of the filter. It takes the brunt of the dirt and debris. The inside puts the final cleaning on the air intake. I check mine daily especially in dry conditions. I give it a good blowing with the compressor. As long as the internal filter stays pretty and white your doing good. When you see dirt start getting through to the white internal filter it's time to change them. Or you can replace them per your engine manufactures recomended service intervals if you don't trust your own judgment.

8. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

You are a smart young man, you hear people talking about blowing out Donaldson filters constantly, that is a mistake.

9. Rons Rightway Lawncare

Rons Rightway Lawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

Blow the mower off with your backpack blower, not a aircompressor!

I do my first oil change at 100 hours, with a new filter. Then every 100 hours afterwards. I have two of my older mowers ( I sold to a friend up the street ) that have over 4000 hours on the orginal engines, and they got their first oil change at 100 hours and then roughly every 100 hours afterwards. You do NOT need to go crazy changing oil every 5 or 25 hours on these engines, it just isn't needed.

Donaldson airfilters...... unless your mowing in very extreme dusty conditions, you should be able to get 1000 or more hours out of the filter. I was at 1300-1400 hours on my last mower and it still had the first filter the mower came new with. I never even needed to blow it out or mess with it. The guy I sold the mower to just replaced the filter, but it didn't really need it, he just did it for the hell of it.

You should take care of your mowers, but some people on this site tend to go WAY OVERBOARD with the maintance on their machines.

10. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

You are 100% correct on everything you posted and I think the engine hours back up what you said.