Picked up my Z-Spray

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Pilgrims' Pride, Oct 26, 2004.

1. Pilgrims' Pride

Pilgrims' Pride LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA.

Yup,

I picked up my z yesterday.
    I got the full size and I'm taking it out on some of my biggest lawns today.
    It's like bein a kid after opening presents on Christmas morning!

I will say from what I see so far this is one VERY WELL THOUGHT OUT AND WELL BUILT MACHINE!
    Tom Rich is a pleasure to deal with and seems like a real "stand up" guy.

Time to make the grass grow!

Bob

2. heritage

heritage LawnSite Bronze Member

Great news Pilgrims'Pride,
    I hope you enjoy your new money maker and keep posting your likes/dislikes about the new machiene. If i wasn't so mechanicly inclined, I would have said bye bye to my perma green centuri and I too would have bought the Z spray. Not trying to bash perma green's product, Z-Spray seems to be a lot more friendly to the non-mechanical applicator/operator. Enjoy!!!

Pete D.

3. James Cormier

James Cormier LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

Good luck Bob, Im sure you will be happy with the new machine.

So whats your plan with the PG and HPS? Are you gonna try to sell either one?

When do you think you will be done with rd5 and lime? As long as theres no snow by thanksgiving I should make it.

4. Pilgrims' Pride

from MA.

Outstanding Machine!

Well worth the money.

I got a late start today but still put in a more than respectable day.
    I did a 40,000 foot property in just about 12 minutes.
    Granular fert and a BLANKET weed spray.

The literature that came with the machine said it will treat 4-6000 ft per/min.
    It did easily. This is a wide open property. Very easy to manuever.

I did a 50,000 ft lawn in about 20 min. It had a few more challenges to it but it is amazing how easy it is to get large properties done so quickly.

I did do a few smaller (8-10,000 ft) lawns as well.
    It felt wrong leaving the bill! (not really).

To answer your question Jim.
    I'll be keeping both the PG and the HPS. I'll fix up the PG over winter. It still has its place I'm sure. As for the HPS, I'm still pleased with it. It hasn't let me down once.

5. Dman1214

Dman1214 Banned

Did you take to the machine right away? No learning curve? Did you practice with it first?

6. jdwilliams1

jdwilliams1 LawnSite Member

Hey, I was just in at Tom's shop and he mentioned you the other day, glad you got it and the numbers are sounding good, I just purchased z plugr, and had spray boom and hopper added on

7. Pilgrims' Pride

from MA.

Dman,

The machine wasn't to hard to learn.
    If you are near me I'd be glad to let you check it out.
    I rode it around the parking lot where my shop is and messed with the sprayers to see the patterns and all.
    After that I hit the rode.
    It was different having such sentive steering ability. But it came easily.
    I think it would be easier for any of you guys who have used a zero turn in the past. Especially the (Wright Stander?) as this is what the frame of the machine seems to resemble.

I'm going to put it through some paces today.
    Leaves are falling like crazy and the race is on!

JDwilliams,

Let me know how the z-plugger works out.
    That could be my next.
    I've got tons of aerations every year and some times not enough time to get them all done.

8. jdwilliams1

jdwilliams1 LawnSite Member

PP, z plugr is good and fast but does have handling issues I am working through with Tom. Hillsides are tricky, not so much in motion just turning, there is a lot of weight out front and front end wants to dive down hill when tines are lifted up so I need to prepare for uphill turn before I lift tines, I love productivity of machine however it may just be a good idea to keep a smaller machine around also.

What made you buy the Max z spray over intermediate or junior, what about gates under 48", what will you do on back yards with gates under 48", I just received certification and will probably buy max in spring however my z plugr as mentioned may do first 2 rounds since it has hopper and 8' spray boom and then hopefully I can get z spray max

9. Pilgrims' Pride

from MA.

I got the max because only a small percentage of my accounts are gated and for those I can run the HPS (I mounted a sprayer to it) or the PG once I fix the transaxle.
    I'll probably do that over winter.
    The max will also come in handy on many of my commercial and large residentials.
    I'm looking at some larger properties next year that I would not consider otherwise.
    I saw someone type "buy bigger and plan ahead".
    That makes sense.

10. James Cormier

James Cormier LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

Bob, youve seen the photo of my pull behind aerator right? Well your machine will pull one of those so easy.. And you will never go back to walking behind a aerator again.

I think it does a much better job then a out front aerator, and if you allready own the z, why spend another 8k on the zplugger? Sorry Tom