Picked up my Z920a today

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by whaler's Mow-Town, Mar 30, 2012.

1. whaler's Mow-Town

whaler's Mow-Town LawnSite Member

I finally picked my mower today after a week of haggling with the dealer to allow me to have it. I couldn't even believe he made me wait till today after it came off the truck Monday. Stoopid Hertz placed an order for 10 kubotas and my JD fell somewhere behind all that crap on their schedule until I put a boot up someones butt.

I mowed a few rather large yards with it today and I was impressed. The mulch on demand is pretty good too. Since I only got the 48" deck, the mod doesnt seem to make any kinda noticeable drag on the motor. I mowed a whole area of a large yard with the mod on (forgot to open it back up) and I saw no difference in the mow either.

I am completely stoked to be the first private LCO in Corpus Christi to rock a 900 series JD. The school district has a few 997's but them things are so big and overgrown that they just don't even seem like they are in my mowers class. Seeing they are diesels, I guess there not .

get some pics up when I take some more. Do a general review here soon also.

IMAG0265.jpg

2. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

Awesome bro, it looks great!:)

I almost contacted you Thursday when I saw your light was on here. I got my 950 on Wed morning, and went out and mowed a couple lawns, mine included. I've been wondering when you were getting yours.
    I haven't posted about it yet, since I got it al dust covered mowing the other day, then the weather turned to crap, and I haven't been able to clean it up for some pics yet.

Just an FYI. I checked my deck and it was dead level front to rear as it came. Deere recommends 1/8"- 1/4" pitch, so I pitched it down a 1/4" in front like I have done to most all my Deere mowers. It seems to cut the best, and leaves great stripes like that. I set my joysticks for my comfort for height and reach, checked and set the tire pressure which was way too inflated like they always are during shipping, and swapped in my new G6's.
    Thing cuts great!

3. whaler's Mow-Town

Oh yea...I let some air outta the tires...they were like balloons. I will check my deck to see if it is level like yours, I am sure it is. I need to pick up some G6 blades and watch the grass fly. They dont stock anything beyond stock around these parts and I will have to do some importing.

I thought the John Deere sticker on the motor loudly proclaiming 23.5 hp is hilarious. Made me ride around all day dreaming, what if it really WERE a 26 hp motor LOL

4. Ridin' Green

Male, from Michigan

I heard that, but at least you know it's the true HP that you have now. Mine says 27 HP, where it used to say 31. Still kinda wished it said 31. May be the same engine, but the 31 sticker would have made it easier, so that I didn't have explain it to guys around here who have no idea about the change in rating systems.

My Z720 said 25. I noticed at a dealer the other day that now they say 22.5. It ran the 60" deck with no problem.

Order some G6's from this place. They seem to have very good prices on them-

http://www.stonewelltradingcompany.com/cart.cgi

BTW, you may find it helpful to remove the two small baffle plates under neath the deck that are in between the two rear half circles that form the rear of the deck. It allows faster/easier discharge of the clippings, and you can put them back in for mulching leaves in the fall. It's in your Op's manual.

5. whaler's Mow-Town

Its all right. I'll keep up with my maintenance real good and not give the HP another thought.....it works pretty good but if it ever blows up I'm getting a bigger motor that dont suck so muck pusholine :)

COOOOL! that place looks to be cheap enough for me :laugh: Now I just gotta figure out which ones go with my mower. More homework.

Yea I had plans on taking the baffles out tomorrow since the weather is nice and I am off. I dont worry much about really mulching stuff up as much as protecting everything and everybody from the crap my mower flings.... I got tired of paying for windows.

6. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Nice machine? 10K?

what did you mean you haggled with the dealer to allow you to have it. Did you dicker him down or something?

7. Ridin' Green

Male, from Michigan

Protection, and mulching leaves in the fall are the two biggest reason I got the MOD, well that and the fact that the MOD deck seems to stripe a little better for some reason than the std deck does even.

Oregons site show 396-770 for the G6 for you machine.

Here it is at stonewall. Just cross reference the OEM number shown here against your blades to be sure it is the direct fitment-

http://www.stonewelltradingcompany.com/product.cgi?group=207095&product=207214

8. Jason

Jason LawnSite Senior Member

Nice mower! The G6 blades Rock on it.. I love my 930a got it last year, seeing alot more deere mowers out there this year. What baffels are you talking about might have to check that out? I put the G6 blades on my 757 with the bagger and get alot more grass in it but when I have leaves I get alot of blow out and doesn't seem to suck the leaves up good.

9. Jimslawncareservice

Jimslawncareservice LawnSite Platinum Member
    from mn

It's 2 little baffles ( I call them plates) on the mulch on demand decks only. Not not sure what your 930 has, the mod or std deck. They help make the grass stay in better when mulching. There is 2 setting.g for them also, or just take them out. I leave them in on my 950. I've mowed some 4ft tall crap with it too and never bothered. It's like every other mower, you have to do what makes it works best for you.

On another note, its Wierd that your dealers don't have them set up right from the get go. My Deeres always have a 1/4" pitch and 10lbs tire pressure.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. orangemower

orangemower LawnSite Silver Member
    from pa

Fenders are cheap.