Picking a business name

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Turfdoctor1, Nov 29, 2005.

1. Turfdoctor1

Turfdoctor1 LawnSite Senior Member

I was wondering if anyone would be wiling to comment on the name "The Turf Doctor--Professional Lawn Care and Consulting."

Thanks for you comments. Please be honest, they won't hurt my feelings.

2. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

waaaaaaay too long. you could barely fit that on a check if you typed it, nevermind if joe blow tries to scribble you a check.

Go with something short, ie., Turf Doctor. Then add "professional Lawn Care and Consulting" as a tag line.

3. Turfdoctor1

thank you for your reply. That's actually what i meant. The Turf Doctor as the name, and Professional Lawn care and consulting as a tag.

thanks

4. alwaysgreener

alwaysgreener LawnSite Member

5. Bennett H&L

Bennett H&L LawnSite Member

i like it kinda kewl

6. gslawncare

gslawncare LawnSite Member

are you a doctor? 12 years of school, doctorate degree, where did you graduate and what was the course of study.

Doctors get to use that title because they earned it. I know it's catchy and there isn't anything keeping you from using the title but I think a better choice is still out there.

If you are a real turf doctor then its a great name.

7. Turfdoctor1

thanks for the replys everyone. please keep it up. to answer your question. i am not a doctor, but i have a master's degree in Horticulture (emphasis on turf management from the University of Arkansas) and will be starting my PhD soon, most likely.

my company is not going to be a mowing service, either. i am trying to market myself as a consultant, based on my experience and education. I will only be doing chemical applications.

8. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

I see it all over the place, doctor this or doctor of this etc. you need something more unique. IMO good luck

9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Don't even try it - especially if you are doing chem.. Youi will have your money invested in logo, cards, stationary, LLC, licensing, among a host of other things, and as soon as Lawn Doctor franchise gets wind of it, they will shut you down. It's already happened to a member here. Cute name, but I would pursue something else.

10. The Cowboy

The Cowboy LawnSite Senior Member

Try TurfMaster or Lawnmaster. Sounds kinda like Servicemaster. After all you have the masters degree.