1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

picking an edger

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by JodyLee, Aug 25, 2005.

1. JodyLee

JodyLee LawnSite Member

Hello all,

I was looking into power edgers(i use a half moon edger now and it lots of work) almost ready to just get a 4hp unit but ive herd some good things about stick edgers. When I went to the dealer I was looking at shidiawas line but the guy there was pushing the echo multi tool(edger,wacker,and many other functions) but you have to buy the diffrent attachments seperatly. What would you guys recomend? Is the stick edger even worth the $$? It just seemed nice to be able to have a wacker size tool to quickly move from job to job.

Thanks for the help, Jody
  2. bushhawg73

bushhawg73 LawnSite Member
    from Florida

I just purchased an echo PE 260 edger. So far so good. I like the fact that the unit is light weight and is very simple to operate. Good luck
  3. a1 lawncare

a1 lawncare LawnSite Member

you will be way ahead to buy and use a stick edger, i own a stihl and a shindaiwa, both have their strong points, some will say just use your string trimmer, well i've tried both and the stick is what works for me and it's all i'll use. i can't really say on the attachment type equipment, i have never used it, all of my equipment is dedicated for a use, on last thing, buy commercial grade equipment, you may pay double what a homeowner unit sells for but it will last eons longer......

best of luck
  4. mark lagasse

mark lagasse LawnSite Member

I like my stihl fc85.
  5. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

lots of people will say just use your string trimmer, but just shut your ears, the stick edger looks so much better and after the first week or so on a property, you can edge almost as fast as you can walk....
  6. HometownLawn

HometownLawn LawnSite Member

I was also looking at the Echo multi tool units. But look at the prices. At my local home depot, to buy the base unit its like $400, each attatchment is around 100 bucks. So just to get the base unit, weedeater attatch and the edger its around 650 or so. But you can buy the echo weedeater and the echo edger in commercial grade for about 260 each. The salesman also pointed out that the spot where you attach the extra goodies tends to wear out after a while.
  7. CuttingCrew

CuttingCrew LawnSite Member

Multi-tools are nice for home owners, but when your on the customers lawn, time is money. You don't want to be down for even 3 to 5 minutes switching out tool heads. It's much easier to place one tool in the rack and grab the next.

There is an endless amount of threads on here about edging with a stick edger -vs- string trimmer. I only edge with an edger. It's a matter of using the right tool for the job. Over time if your edging with a string trimmer, your edging tends to get wider and wider leaving, over time, a 3/4 to 1 inch groove along the sidewalks and driveways. A stick edger will always leave a clean 1/4 inch edge no matter how careless you or your helper is with it.

When I purchased my trimmer and edger, I bought Stihl FS and FC 110's. (These are dedicated tools, not the KM combo series from Stihl) By having matching power units, if I ever have a gear head failure on a job site I can swap out gear heads and finish the job.

8. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

Good advice from everyone on this forum. I own a Stihl Stick edger FC75, should have went with a bigger model. But my edger is great for maintaing a great edge. Stick Edgers can be a pain to break in a new edge on an overgrown yard, especially Bermuda. Some people keep an old fashion walk behind edger for when breaking in a new line.
  9. smullen

smullen LawnSite Member

I do know what edging is as I do it all the time, but I'm not really familiar with the term ""Stick Edger"; is it just a trimmer Engine and shaft, like a normal trimmer, but instead of having a trimmer/string head it has a edger on it????

If so, that what I have been wanting to get when I get the money....
  10. True Cut Lawn Maintenance

True Cut Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member

I would hope your kidding

i bought a stihl FC55 250 bucks its what i could afford, would have liked to get a bigger one but between that the riding mower and the string trimmer i figured i had spent enough until business gets off the ground