Lawn Care Forum banner

Picking an Edger

8K views 22 replies 17 participants last post by  cpllawncare 
#1 ·
I am looking to purchase a edger for the upcoming season to make my work look better. Currently I have a Echo srm 266 trimmer that I use for both trimming and edging. I am open to any brand give me your edvice on which on I should purchase for the upcoming season.

:weightlifter:

#4 ·
Consider stihl. The 4mix is amazing efficient and powerful....nothing else comes close in my opinion!
Straight shaft for more digging power, curved shaft for higher blade speed. That's what I am told.

Stihl FC90 curved shaft $359 (28.4cc)
Stihl FC95 straight shaft $449 (28.4cc)

Both are considered "commercial grade" and will give you many years of reliable service. I personally use all stihl handtools. They last longer, use less fuel, and have more power than ANY other brand available. The ONLY complaint I have is they are slightly heavier than competitive models. Total cost of ownership in 10 years, you will find stihl beats everything available. Just my 2 cents.

#6 ·
He is talking about a 4 stroke motor that runs on 2 stroke mixed fuel.

Don't listen to him, Stihl, Husqvarna, Redmax, Tanaka, Shindaiwa and some others are all comparable. Don't buy on brand name. Buy on what your dealer has and will support. Look at what particular model has the best reviews. People get so passionate about the particular brand they use. It turns into a cult following. Look at the parts that make up their engines, and they are all about the same materials.

I myself prefer 2 stroke. I have had problems in the past with those 4mix hybrids from both Stihl and Shindaiwa. But then again, they ALL have went down hill since the EPA started jacking with the regulations. If you could some how magically come across a new old-stock unit that is from the 90s and early 2000s era, that is where the quality is at from all of the brands.

#7 ·
Consider stihl. The 4mix is amazing efficient and powerful....nothing else comes close in my opinion!
Straight shaft for more digging power, curved shaft for higher blade speed. That's what I am told.

Stihl FC90 curved shaft $359 (28.4cc)
Stihl FC95 straight shaft $449 (28.4cc)

Both are considered "commercial grade" and will give you many years of reliable service. I personally use all stihl handtools. They last longer, use less fuel, and have more power than ANY other brand available. The ONLY complaint I have is they are slightly heavier than competitive models. Total cost of ownership in 10 years, you will find stihl beats everything available. Just my 2 cents.
You left out Stihl's second straight shaft edger, the FC110. At 31.4cc it's Stihl's strongest edger, I loved mine, but eventually stepped up to a KM 130 R Kombi system with the straight shaft edger attachment.

To the OP, check out Stihl's edgers as well as what Redmax has to offer. I'd skip Echo all together.

#11 ·
I used to run a Stihl FC90 curved shaft edger but felt it was a little underpowered on overgrown or new edges. It works fine for edges that are already established.

I recently bought the 130 Kombi with straight shaft edger to cut in new edging but haven't had a chance to use it yet.

#12 · (Edited)
get a husqvarna 324ldx trimmer and get an edger attachment. it's a true honda engine 4 stroke and requires no mixing of oil. you use less gas and you don't have to buy oil to mix with the gas. the engines last longer than 2 strokes and they have more torque as well which is what you need for edging. i have one and i love it. i also have a honda trimmer with the same engine that i've been using for 10 years with no problems. i wanted a honda edger but they didn't make one so the husqvarna choice was the only one that uses the same engine. husqvarna doesn't sale just an edger with that engine though so you have to buy the trimmer that accepts different attachments. it's ok though because you'll always have a backup trimmer that way in case your main trimmer goes down. husqvarna does sale the 224ldx which is a trimmer only that doesn't accept edger attachments but the edger only ones they sale are 2 strokes. there's also other attachments you can use if you want like shrub trimmers and such if you get the 324ldx.

#13 ·
The Stihl KM90R 4-mix is heavier, but they pot out a heck of a lot of power.

But, the Shindaiwa 242 is great for weekly stuff

#15 ·
Hi from Australia
I have an Atom edger (made in Australia) and really like it. One can buy 2 stroke or 4 stroke models. I have a 2 stroke model. I do not know if Atom edgers are available in the USA. Should be if they are not.
One of my customers got me to use her STAR brand edger once when I forgot my Atom. Yuk taught me I don't forget my Atom anymore.
Cheers
hjl2

#22 ·
He is talking about a 4 stroke motor that runs on 2 stroke mixed fuel.

Don't listen to him, Stihl, Husqvarna, Redmax, Tanaka, Shindaiwa and some others are all comparable. Don't buy on brand name. Buy on what your dealer has and will support. Look at what particular model has the best reviews. People get so passionate about the particular brand they use. It turns into a cult following. Look at the parts that make up their engines, and they are all about the same materials.

I myself prefer 2 stroke. I have had problems in the past with those 4mix hybrids from both Stihl and Shindaiwa. But then again, they ALL have went down hill since the EPA started jacking with the regulations. If you could some how magically come across a new old-stock unit that is from the 90s and early 2000s era, that is where the quality is at from all of the brands.
+1

And I'd add that the Echo bed redefiner is awesome! Might just have to pop for one of those. Don't know about the long term, but used one for a day and I'm spoiled.
Posted via Mobile Device

#23 ·
+1

And I'd add that the Echo bed redefiner is awesome! Might just have to pop for one of those. Don't know about the long term, but used one for a day and I'm spoiled.
Posted via Mobile Device
The Echo unit is a wuss compared to the new Stihl unit, We use a Mclain WB edger for establishing edges and our Stihl KM 110 for maintaining. The Husky units are good also, I'd stay away from Echo personally.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.