Picking up a shiny t230 tomorrow

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by S man, May 5, 2008.

1. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

A lco who owes me money is giving me a shin t230 tomorrow. He hasen't run it in 2 years he said but ran fine when he was using it. He stopped using it because he runs big powerful trimmers with 25cc or more. Will I have to clean out the carb or do something to get this thing running or will a shot of starter fluid help? Will it run fine after sitting for 2 years? Info needed please!
  2. S man

bump anyone?
  3. TheChiefsLawnCare

TheChiefsLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Man, I wouldnt let this guy give you a trimmer, I would tell him to pay up. I use the the I make cuttin lawns to pay my insurance, gas, food, etc, he needs to pay up. Good luck with getting it started. How much does a trimmer like this costs new.
  4. MCLC

MCLC LawnSite Member
    from STL

What a great deal, he owes you money and pay you with a trimmer that you may have to fix :confused:
  5. yungman

yungman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Calif.

Unless he owe you less than half of what the trimmer worth, why do you want a smaller used trimmer??!! Tell him to pay up and go buy yourself a good one. All these talk with you and you are going to settle with a little used one!!!! I am waiting for you to get the Redmax and tell me how you like it.
  6. K/B

K/B LawnSite Senior Member

Dump out the old gas, put fresh gas in, chances are if it was put away running it will start up. Maybe squirt some fresh gas into the carb, or better yet disassemble the carb and clean it. Sometimes the primer bulbs rot out from sitting, also.
  7. jkilov

jkilov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MS

I would tell him to pay up. But if you want the thing, consider that you can't buy a new one anymore.

I can see no good reason why he would give you a solid state machine which is in such hot demand these days. Probably has more work hours on it than proclaimed.

Be sure you're not getting a lemon. If it won't start, he should fix it himself.

If fuel mixture was kept in the tank for 2 years, it could be a nightmare. Carburetor membranes can gumm and stick, passageways clog up, primer bulb cracks, fuel tubes deteriorate and fuel filter is full of oil. Rebuilding a gummed up carb may not be worth the effort.
  8. gandk06

gandk06 LawnSite Senior Member

Relax guys. He never said how much he owes him. Just make sure it starts before you take it home.
    If it starts and runs good the deal has been made. If it does not start and run, no deal and you want cash again.
  9. BillyRgn

BillyRgn LawnSite Member

i had a t-230 that an employee ran over and broke the shaft, it sat about a year and a half. i got a shaft from a friend of mine and put it on, i put a new spark plug in and primed it about 30 times, pulled it a few times and it fired right up. i love it. i carry three trimmers on my mowing crew, the t-230 is the oldest, the other two are a shindiawa t-231 and the other is a brand new t-231x, the t-230 is my favorite by far it is the lighter of the three and seems to have more power than the other two, to bad they stoped making them
  10. S man

He owes me $200 but that's from last year. I was a dumba$$ and didn't get the money from him when he bought my stuff. But atleast he's being honest and giving me something. Anyway I wanted a 230. He was going to give me a hedge trimmer but showed up and said it was broken so I didn't get it.