Picking up aeration plugs on golf greens

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by ArTurf, Dec 31, 2009.

1. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Ark

Any suggestions on this? I leave them on lawns and let them breakdown naturally but these will need to be picked up to keep the greens playable. I know they make specific machines for this but that is not a option. Looking for an efficient low cost method. I know I posted this on another forum by mistake.

2. shiveslandcsaping

shiveslandcsaping LawnSite Member

Did you see my response on your other post about this?

3. ArTurf

Male, from Ark

Yes, thanks. That sounds like it would work. Just want to get as many thoughts a possible.

4. JFGauvreau

JFGauvreau LawnSite Bronze Member

Could we also have the answer here please?

I had some rare customers that told me they don't like it when I leave the plugs, even after I told them they will dissolve and their good for your lawn.

5. nc-jrock

nc-jrock LawnSite Member
    from NC

I have heard of people dragging a six foot piece of chain link fence with some weight on it behind their mower to brake them up.

6. ArTurf

Male, from Ark

This was originally posted in the Landscape Maintenance forum. You can find it there.

7. turfcobob

turfcobob LawnSite Senior Member

Any suggestions on this? I leave them on lawns and let them breakdown naturally but these will need to be picked up to keep the greens playable. I know they make specific machines for this but that is not a option. Looking for an efficient low cost method. I know I posted this on another forum by mistake.

Just so I understand. You are aerating golf greens and want to pick up the cores? The question was kind of confusing.

8. ArTurf

Male, from Ark

Yes, I will be aerating golf greens and they want them off the greens. I have been suggested the snow shovel method just looking for other methods then will go from there.

9. kenneth meals

kenneth meals LawnSite Member

As mentioned in the other post a core harvester, mount to JD progator, Cushman truckster, Toro Workman, Then there's the sweepers, JD tc125,Toro pro sweep,or core processor, tow behind, then various sweeper vacs.
    Some courses will just blow and shovel as said. One option for green I've used was a plow type setup that attached to the walking greens mowers, can't remember the company that makes it, but will find out. Seemed the most efficiant way, but still required shovels but not as much labor, the other options are exspensive and won't pickup much in the way of lawns with higher H.O.C. Worked as a golf course mechanic and Toro technician.

10. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

blow them off???