1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Picking up customers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fairways, Apr 22, 2005.

1. fairways

fairways LawnSite Member

Do many of you continue to pick up new customers through out the entire mowing season, or do you only get them in the spring?
  2. Mower For Less

Mower For Less LawnSite Senior Member

Most of them in the spring, but a few trickle in as the season goes on. Sometimes they are people that just moved in, sometimes they are older folks who realize they need to give up cutting, and have seen us on the block so they come flag us down and sign up. Sometimes its a customer who hates there current LCO and wants to switch (CAUTION, possible PITA and/or non-payer). One year I picked up an account with only 4 cuts left to finish out the year.

3. l1011100

l1011100 LawnSite Member

Watch out for the ones that say that for some reason they cant keep an LCO. I fell for that one a few times last year, they were all PITA's. Needles to say they are with the next guy now.
  4. br549oicu8

br549oicu8 LawnSite Bronze Member

We pick up new customers all season but the biggest hit for us is in the spring. Right now after about 4 weeks of mowing we are averaging 4-5 calls a day for mowing estimates , 2-3 for irrigation, and 4-5 for spraying.
    What gets me is the one that wants an estimate for a one time mow.
    I don't have time for that crap. We will mow it and bill accordingly to time but it doesn't make a bit of sense to give a free estimate for a $30 or so job. Waste of time and gas.
  5. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

Are all, or most, of the calls you get each day from word of mouth, or do you advertise?
  6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Over the more than 20 years in business, I've observed that there are mean (average) spikes in the calls. The calls are relatively heavy during the spring, then taper off. Then, we get another spike about 4-6 weeks into the actual active season. We call this "change over". It is the time when many people have had a new (or current) service this far into the season, and realize that the service isn't up to par for their wishes. The calls pick back up, but not as heavy as in the first of spring. With the chem. calls, they pick up around the same time as change-over, because many start calling when they have dandelions and such coming up.
  7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

All year long...referrals, people being relocated cause of their jobs, people just not wanting to mow their own anymore, mower is in the shop until who knows when...the list goes on.
  8. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

I get most calls in the Spring, between February and April. Then when it gets hot here in Florida I get a few more. A lot of people that cut their own lawns most of the year can't handle it in July and August when the temps are close to 100 and the humidity is high. Those are the ones that I get a chuckle out of.
    They ask if I can cut their lawn for a couple of months while the husband is recuperating from and illness or injury. I usually quote those lawns at double the going rate. If they bite... it's a few extra bucks each week. If they don't, nothing's lost.
  9. jbell113

jbell113 LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with you on the one time mow and what I do is offer them a one year deal and when they so no I tell them that the price per month on the 1 year deal is what its going to cost you for the one cut .
  10. MowerMoney

MowerMoney LawnSite Senior Member

I picked up 10 new customers throughout the year last year from referrals and neighbours, etc. Then got 2 more, side by side, at the very end of the season. The scrub who had been doing them (beat up old van, old Lawn Boy with side discharge and a rake) told them "he was done cutting for the year" and their grass was a good 6 - 7" long and still growing. Guess he had enough beer money for a while.
    I charged them $10 more per cut than he was but they've seen my work in the neighbourhood so they know the value. Sometimes the scrubs do us a favour by doing a lousy job.