1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Picking up my Bed Edger today

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by KenH, Jun 2, 2003.

1. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Finally bit the bullet and bought a Brown Bed Edger. Will be picking it up this afternoon. I will post a report in a few days. I was really getting tired of shovel edging, especially for new installs.
  2. I demo'd the brown and liked it, but settled on the ez-trencher instead.
    The brown was great on long beds but the radius was not tight enough for cutting new tree rings, were the ez-trench has the radius but is not a very stable piece of equipment.
    Good luck with it.

Steve :cool:
  3. mikesjumpingin

mikesjumpingin LawnSite Member

This is a dumb question, but is a bed edger a different device all together than my edger attachment for my stihl split shaft?

I slice the edge with it first then go back and pop some soil or turf into the bed with a flat manual edger tool thing.

I was thinking a power tool that actually cut a narrow channel would be better.

Anyways, I remove the clumps by hand or leave it if I'm mulching. Am I doing this right? Is there an better way?

Thanks, Mike

I ran a search but mostly got edger maintenance technique using grass trimmers, and pricing stuff.
  4. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

So tell us, how much?
  5. gogetter

gogetter Banned

6. KenH

from CT

The total was 2439.00 with tax and the redefining rotor.(plus a $100 off coupon) I am going to put it to work tomorrow.
  7. kickin sum grass

kickin sum grass LawnSite Senior Member

KenH you will love the thing. I bought mine last summer. Just watch out for outdoor lighting wires, sprinkler heads, cable, etc. The thing will chew thru anything. It will even cut rocks if it can't pickem up and throw em out. It is very fast. I found out the dryer the better. in dry dirt in turns everything into poweder and you can just rake it back into the bed. It works good in moist soil to but mak make some clumps that have to be picked out. Was yours the 9 hp steerable? That is what i have. I only run it at 1/4 throttle and it works great. I gave 1800 last summer from a dealer who wanted to get rid of it real bad. 2400 is about the regular price.
  8. KenH

from CT

Thanks KSG--- It is the steerable 9HP. How do you transport yours??? Trailer, truck with ramps??? Thanks

9. WOW what a deal! Who is that dealer?.;)

I've been trying to get the local rental shop to selll me theirs. He says it's in too much demand. I can't really justify the cost of a new one, so I guess I'll keep renting. I really like the job the Brown does.

10. kickin sum grass

kickin sum grass LawnSite Senior Member

usually we just put it in the trailor. 2 guys can push it up ramps but is a pain cuz of the front wheels don't line up with the back. Sometimes we pick it up but try to avoid this unless there are three of us for the job.

David - pm me in a couple of days. I will stop by and see what that dealer is selling them for now. Like I said before he was wanting to move it and sold it cheap so I am not sure if his price will be that now. I will check for you.