1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Picking up my exmark tomorrow

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by bigw, May 1, 2008.

1. bigw

bigw LawnSite Bronze Member

well after only 24 hrs on my new 60" exmark it had to have both pump motors replaced, it was fine at first but then i started to lose power and the stering was terrible and would not hold hills or even slopes.Hopefully it is fixed!!
  2. Budget

Budget LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa.

Did they give you a back up unit to help you out? I know the grass is growing like crazy in Chester county. Good luck you seem to be off to a good start.
  3. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Thats pretty fast for a big problem like that. Under warranty, right?
    And, good question, did you get a loaner in the interim or just use your Quick mower?
  4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Why do you think the dealer should give you a loaner? It isn't his fault that it broke...and if hegives you a loaner and you break it would you be willing to pay to have it fixed.
  5. bruno_rs

bruno_rs LawnSite Member

hey ed2, if a dealer isn't going to stand 100% behind the big $ equipment he and/or she is selling, why buy from them? from what i understand "bigs" machine didn't have more than a few hours on it.

when buying from a dealer they're looking to establish an ongoing business relationship that will hopefully last for years and be beneficial to both parties. i'm sorry but if you (mr dealer) sell me a machine for 8k and it breaks the 1st week i'm working with it AND won't float me a loaner until i get the brand new (commercial grade) machine i paid for back in new working order, "thems is fighting words"!

if there is any fault (here) it is with the manufacturer who built the machine. being that the dealer is a "representative" of the manufacturer, the dealer is at fault as well. therefore, it IS the dealers responsibility to fix and/or replace the item sold to the customer (big)... that includes loaning a comp machine until his new unit is fixed properly.
  6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Well I think we got a darn good dealer here in Austin...certainly one of the biggest and I wouldn't even consider asking for a loaner and I have been a customer for 25 years and bought many many thousands dollars of equipment. They just don't do loaners....now he will start working on it immediately .....you gotta have backups Oh by the way this is the only good dealer in a city of 1.0 million with 1000 lawn cutters doubt if anybody wants to upset him.
  7. 4curbappeal

4curbappeal LawnSite Senior Member

His mower has 20 hours on it! If I spent 9K on a mower and had problems with only 20 hours on it I gaurantee my dealer would bring a demo to me. Maybe things are different in your neck of the woods. Hope you got everything worked out with the mower big w!!!!
  8. IMAGE

IMAGE LawnSite Bronze Member
    from midwest

Not sure about what brands that dealer sells. But the Exmark dealers here have a Zero Down Time mower that they give to a customer if thier mower is getting fixed under warrenty. This is usually also a Demo mower that will be brand new at the beginning of that yr. The dealer gets a discount from the distributor on Demo mowers.

If your dealer is selling Exmark and does not have a Zero Down time mower, I would guess you may be under a different distibutor.

My dealer has a HP with a 5x" deck, and a Turf Tracer both as Demos/ZDT mowers this yr. He said he is trying to get a Navigator on the Demo/ZDT program too.

Oh yeah, the Walker dealer has the same program, but I am not sure if it is an in-house program there, or if it is through the distributor and/or manufacturer.
  9. C&K

C&K LawnSite Senior Member
    from East TN

ya, Exmark dealers are supposed to give a loaner. That is according to my dealer. 0 down time as stated before.
  10. bruno_rs

bruno_rs LawnSite Member

hey ed2, just because he's the BIGGEST don't mean he's the best! moreover, i wouldn't be bragging about a 25 year multi thousand $ "relationship" and he wouldn't even think about a loaner. after you (mr dealer) sell me a 8k machine i'm not a happy camper if it "dumps" with less than 30 hours on it. maybe it'd just me but that's not my kind of dealer.

however i do agree with you and posted earlier to big w about the NEED for backups. my backup saved my A$$ the other day... my primary ztr started running funny and found it was only firing on 1 cylinder. loaded it back on the truck and grabbed my other ztr to finish the day. when i returned to the shop, i replaced the coil and my primary's up and running again! learned the 2 of everything trick years ago.

hope everyone's busy and staying out of trouble. good luck. have a good one.