Picking up my new w/b 48 hydro today

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by rommel51, Aug 3, 2007.

1. rommel51

rommel51 LawnSite Member

I think it is a 06 model. I know it is still new. It doesn't have an hour on the meter. I also know it doesn't say trimstar on the deck. I will be picking it up from my dealer today. I ordered the mulching kit my my new w/b. I do have a question. My dealer said the mulching kit only comes with a closeout panel. Isn't there like baffles or something for underneath the deck? They also said the kit doesn't come with blades. No big deal there are putting some high lift blades on there. I wouldn't mind getting the sulky striper but I mow some rough ground at some of my jobs so I got a used Bull Rider. Any comments on what type of blades or anything about my machine will be appreciated. Don't make fun of my old machine, it is a Red Hawk 32" belt. It got me through 2 years of mowing and is now the brand new backup.

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Welcome to the family!!
    It is or isn't a TrimStar? the mulch kit for them TrimStar and the older version, the Hydrowalk are different.
    Regardless if you are using the mulch kit you need to either use our wavy blades or Gators.
    The striping sulky will work great, but so will your Bull Rider.

3. rommel51

rommel51 LawnSite Member

It is not a trimstar. At least it doesn't say that on the mower anywhere. Model # is 925651. I used it this weekend and WOW. Loved it. The control is great. Such a big difference between my 32" belt Red Hawk.

Is there a parking brake? I haven't had time to check the manual. I don't remember them showing me one. See I got my trailer where it is a little high in the front so the mower doesn't drag so much when loading and unloading. Because of that tilt when I drive the mower up the trailer, it doesn't want to stay where I put it. It rolls backwards. I have the lever in lock position. The handle bars are locked. Aren't the wheels supposed to be locked also?

My dealer said that the mulch kit only comes with closeout panel on the right side. Is that all I need to mulch effectively?

4. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

The Hustler mulch kit part # 344788 comes with the close off plate and 2 baffles and of course all the hardware needed also.
    You will need to buy mulching blades or Gators for the unit also.
    The parking brake on those models was optional, so if you need one your dealer has to order you one, they are part # 345264.
    No the unit will not lock the wheels in with the lever in neutral, it is a fluid drive system and it can not hold the tires from moving when the unit is not running.
    Hope this helps.

Pj

5. rommel51

rommel51 LawnSite Member

Ok thanks for the reply. What is the name of my mower? If its not trimstar or superwalkbehind.

6. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

Back when we only had the 3 walk behinds in our line up we called them Hydro Walkbehinds. no particular name or anything.
    Then came the Super Walkbehinds then the TrimStars.
    I would just use your model and serial # in reference anytime you order anything.

7. lawnstriper23

lawnstriper23 LawnSite Senior Member

Congrats on the purchase. One question though, "Don't make fun of my old machine, it is a Red Hawk 32" belt", why would we make fun of that mower? I just bought a 2007 Red Hawk 32" belt mower the other day. Gotta start somewhere and this is a good entry level machine.....

8. rommel51

rommel51 LawnSite Member

Could you tell me the blade tip speed and how fast does this mower go. I thought I read somewhere that it goes 8mph. I had it top speed while mowing and it didn't cut 100%. The grass is Kentucky and fescue blend. Only cut off about a .5" to a full inch. The cut wasn't terrible. My next path I went about half speed and that pass looked much better. Stock blades and discharge open.

9. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

I dont have the specs handy for your mower, I will get them tomorrow if I can.
    The drive on your mower has 2 settings on the control linkage at the pumps, you can change the linkage to get the higher or lower max ground speed.

10. rommel51

rommel51 LawnSite Member

No I actually liked my RedHawk alot. It was my first mower. Once you try a hustler it a lot different though. I do like the fact that I can man handle the Hawk. I see in you sig you have a home made stripper. When I put gator blades and the mulch closeout panel on it you should of seen the stripes it made. They looked really good. Put some pictures up of the home made version if you don't mind. If you don't know how to put pictures on here, e-mail me them. kyle.rainbolt@sbcglobal.net