Picking up new(to me) truck...

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by nlminc, Mar 20, 2003.

1. nlminc

nlminc LawnSite Bronze Member
    from GA

I bought a 1998 Nissan UD cab over with a 16 ft. box. Having a beavertail ramp installed Monday or Tuesday. This one has a 6cyl diesel with only 119000 miles on it. These trucks are good for over 400k if maintained properly. This one will be my moble shop and maintenance truck.

2. grassdaddy

grassdaddy LawnSite Senior Member

I'm jealous,how much?Buy from company or individual?:cool:

3. nlminc

from GA

Bought it from a dealer in Atlanta called Nextran Truck Center. Paid 11k with a PM and DOT inspection. This is a 1400 series with 12k gvw. Should be able to pick it up tomorrow night or Sat. morning. I was shopping Isuzus and the others and found that Hino and UD are of better quality and reliability. This one is very clean and smooth running. The box ia made by Morgan and is in excellent condition. Should have good luck with seems I don't even have an account here in GA yet! lol

4. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

1400 series with only a 12k GVW?? Thats not right, they have a 14,250 GVW. Also a 1400 with a 6 cyl?? Thought they didn't start 6 cyl's till you got up in the 1800HD models. :confused:

5. nlminc

from GA

Paponte,

You are right it is a 14K gvw. Sorry I was thinking of the Isuzu that was 12k gvw. They had 6cyl diesels in the 1400 until the 1999 year when they switched to 4cyl. It's an EPA reason for the change, I checked with Nissan directly about that info.
    I would much rather have the 6 cyl diesel over the 4.

6. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Yeah, you will love the truck. Especially with the 6 cyl. It makes a huge difference. I would reccomend anyone in the market to check them out. You just have to get used to them getting in and out of the cab. I have around 217k on mine now and theyre still running like a top. I may look into the 3300 series and drop my International next year. Have to check it out first. Good luck with it, hope it makes lots of green$$ payup