Picking up Shrub Trimmings

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by SpringValley, Feb 4, 2001.

1. SpringValley

SpringValley LawnSite Member

What is the best, least amount of time involved that you all have found for picking up shrub trimmings out of the beds? We have bid on several maintenance jobs this spring and want to keep this aspect of the job in mind if we get those bids.

Matt

2. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

I blow them out and rake them up, and if they are in areas with ivy or some other ground cover and the clippings aret`t too large I use an Echo handheld vac and this cleans them up in not much time.

3. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

We usually rake the heaviest amount of clippings from the beds first and then go back over the rest with an echo hand held vac ($169+/-).

This seems to work the best for us. I dont like to wasate the prep time of draping the grounds first with plastic or tarps.

Hope this helps.
    Kris

4. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

To do a perfect cleanup, don't let any trimmings hit the ground. We get stained bedsheets from motels (last batch was $.40 each, 6 yrs ago). They are unusable to a quality motel establishment. Spread the sheets under the shrubs being sheared, then pick them up carefully and dump together. You never know that shearing was just done. Only hangup is learning to pick up your feet, so you don't drag sheets. Sheets are also useful for carrying many things: carry a bundle of brush to truck, raking up debris on lawn (stand on edge of sheet, then rake debris onto it, like a broom & dustpan), lay out on lawn when digging for sprinkler repair- no telltale dirt left on lawn, etc.

5. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

Ever wander whats on those "stained" bed sheets?

6. SpringValley

Thanks for the input guys (except the comment on the stain origins!). I have a Stihl BG72 blower that can be set up as a vac but it doesn't like branches that well due to its plastic impeller. Does the ECHO have a steel impeller?

Matt

7. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

Yes they have twin knives. My brother also said that the model with plastic such as yours was the $169 and that the upgrade to the metal knives was either $249/$269 for the unit.

Hope this helps.
    Kris

8. Mowman

Mowman LawnSite Senior Member

In mulched areas I use an old plastic shower curtain. In places that are stone I just blow them out and then rake them up. Clean-Up always takes time no matter how it's done. Hope this helps.
    Mowman

9. cclllc

cclllc LawnSite Senior Member

I either blow them out of the beds or use a leaf rake.Then I rake them up in little piles and pick them up with the leaf rake on top of either a corn scoop or mulch fork and load them to the wheelbarrow to dump in the trailer for disposel.Works good for me.Sounds like alot of work huh?

10. SpringValley

In the past I have raked or picked up the trimmings as most of you have described. That is how I quoted the jobs. But if I can find a quicker, less time consuming way, then my profit margin increases. I am going to look at the metal knife ECHO or new impellar for my Stihl. Thanks for the ideas.

Matt