picking up sticks while mowing with the WB

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by asyracus, Jun 3, 2004.

1. asyracus

asyracus LawnSite Member

I have been researching the commercial walk behind mower controls. It appears to me that if you use the ECS or pistol grips, you have to keep both hands on the controls to slow down or stop.

That poses only one problem for me.....I cut a lot of yard where I'm constantly picking up sticks! It seems like the only mower that really would lend itself to constantly stoping and picking up sticks would be the Toro with the T-bar control. For this reason alone, I'm considering getting the Toro with the T-bar. Otherwise, I've heard good things about the Exmark with ECS controls.

Any input or advise on this?

Thanks!

2. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Pick up the sticks before you mow:D You will save your clutch and PTO belt.
    John

3. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

I agree with john!

Gravely makes a "prosteer" where you let the two sticks out and it stops moving, lesco/cub cadet also have this with their floating deck walkbehind.

4. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

sir--on just about any WB mower that is properly functioning, if you turn loose of the handlebars, the motor dies. on some units the motor may continue but the blades stop.

as for the ECS, walk away from the unit, the motor dies.

with the ECS to slow/stop the unit either pull in the grips OR pull back the hydro feed. either way, one hand has to be on the grips pressing the dead man handle.

I think it's a good idea to check out other handle styles than the ECS but I don't see it for the reason you have suggested.

myself? if I can run over the stick I do. there are only chips left when the mower is done.

GEO

5. 2004F550

2004F550 LawnSite Senior Member

Use some medical tape, it should hold the safeties.

6. asyracus

asyracus LawnSite Member

I'm just really particular, and find myself constantly picking up even small sticks. Of course, the big sticks I do pick up before starting. I always keep one hand on the controls to keep the dead-man safety lever engaged.

The prosteer that Lesco makes sounds interesting.....I haven't heard of that one. I have been to the Lesco website, and it's pretty lame, and the nearest dealer to me is still pretty far. Thanks for the input, you all.

7. Turf Technologies

Turf Technologies LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

I have no prblems picking up sticks and leaving my Lesco WB running at the same time. They have speed control levers, when pulled all the way back the engine will still run.When done I jump back on push the levers down and im off.

8. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

The Hustler is what you are needing. As long as you keep one hand on it the mower will keep running and you stop and pick up what ever with the other hand. Or you can do like we did and just tie the OPC together with some string.

9. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

I know a man that did that but he used black tape. He trips and falls. Before he can get up his mower decides to go for a swim in the customer's in-ground swiming pool. It turns out it can not swim very well. After a $100 tow bill from the wrecker company and another $150 from the repair shop and the pool repair bill has not came the last time I talked to him it may not have been so good of an idea.

10. 2004F550

2004F550 LawnSite Senior Member

Well use good sense and don't stop near a pool on a hill or something, common sense can go along way