Picking up thatch with mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by griffin16, Apr 26, 2003.

1. griffin16

griffin16 LawnSite Member

Does anyone pickup thatch and leaves with a walk behind?
    When I try, I get front blow out, a lower engine speed seems to help a little.
    What do you do??

2. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, back the throttle a hair, a lower deck works better (2.5 on my Exmark TTHP), and cut with the discharge pointing inward the whole time. Then crosscut if necessary and you should get most of it. In thin turf it does not work well.

3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

we use our walk behinds to pick up everything, especially thatch. Its the fastest and easiest way. We just knock down the speed to 3 and it works great.

4. Gr grass n Hi tides

Gr grass n Hi tides LawnSite Bronze Member

Ditto the first two responses. I picked up a bunch of thatch on a property today with my 48 hydro. Worked like a champ. For darn sure I'm not going to stand out there & rake it !!

5. griffin16

Thanks for the Input.
    But, does anyone have the front blow by problem ??
    It is a little frustrating to have about one third of the clippings, thatch, leaves, etc. blow out the front.
    I would love to buy a walker with GHS and never complain again, but I haven't won the lottery yet.
    I think I will win soon, maby next month.

6. Gr grass n Hi tides

Gr grass n Hi tides LawnSite Bronze Member

I get some blow, but no big deal. Like darryl gesner said, just make another pass & you'll get most all of it.

7. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

I solved alot of my blow-out, by replacing the spacers that are located between my blades and spindles by thinner ones, actually used 4 washers, the stock spacers are probably 1-11/4" thick, narrowed it down to 1/2 " or so. Thus it sucked the blades up into the baffling more.

8. LawnGuy73

LawnGuy73 LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd also say reduce the engine speed, or you could always put a rubber flap on the front..

9. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Griffin - Just make sure the blow out goes into the unmowed area. You can pick up the last bit or any stragglers by going backwards. Nothing seems to blow out when going backwards!

10. griffin16

Epic, your reading my mind.
    I thought about putting a rubber flap along the front edge of the cutting deck.
    Does anyone do this or know of a company that would sell a kit ??