picking up / vaccing Newengland grass

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LawnMower, Sep 8, 2006.

1. LawnMower

LawnMower LawnSite Senior Member

Only guys mowing New england grass could know the answer to my question. The grass in my area is dense and thick.

I have a protero bagger for my BobCat. It works good as long as its dry and the grass isn't to high. Make the grass wet and it clogs. Make it a little higher then normal and it clogs. Im looking for a bagger that doesn't clog under those conditions. Iv talked to guys with Exmarks and a lot of them say there great in most conditions. Only one guy said the exmarks clog in wet turf.

What bagger have you guys had the most luck with cutting NewEngland grass? Even an opinion from the walker guys would be nice.

Any one With Pecos, or track vacs?

2. Hartnett Lawn Care

Hartnett Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Hey John,

I mow in SK and NK and Narr area....I use a steel grass catcher on my scag 48" walk behind...belt driven and have not had a problem with clogging...for what it's worth.

take care...Greg Hartnett

3. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

We collect 90% of the time, Hustler Super 60" and Bac-Vac for open areas and a Walker 48" GHS unit for small areas. The wetter the grass the slower you have to go. The longer the grass the slower you have to go. Wet grass just does not move well. And for long grass, a vac unit can only handle just so much volume. Some times when I use the Hustler in real tall growth I will side discharage the first cut at 1/2" higher than I want it and go back for a second cut at my normal higth.

4. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

I've owned or tried almost every vac out there and found the Ultra Vac the best. Most suction and least clogging and even packs tha bags very tight.

5. LawnMower

A lot of guys in the Newport area use Ultra Vacs on the Exmarks. Im wondering if they can be made to fit on a Bob Cat.

6. LawnMower

I was just looking at the Bob Cat collection system that there offering now. It looks great. I'm wondering if any one has one yet.

7. lawncare18

lawncare18 LawnSite Senior Member

lawnmower... havent seen you on here in a while... hope your season is going good... You keeping busy and keeping up with the grass growing so fast in the northeast this year??

8. lawncare18

lawncare18 LawnSite Senior Member

Also.. got any recent pics of your sweet red dully??? Thanks in advance

9. corey1977

corey1977 LawnSite Senior Member
    from maine

Lawn mower do you have a grass blower on the end of your deck and to push the grass in the bagger?

10. corey1977

corey1977 LawnSite Senior Member
    from maine

Lawn mower do you have a grass blower on the end of your deck and to push the grass in the bagger?

toro time cutter z 16/42
    bolens 22 inch 3.5 horse
    murray 20 mulching mower
    12x 8 home made trailer
    1997 geo tracker
    sthil trimmer
    troy bilt trimmer
    echo blower
    home lite back pack blower
    and suzuki eiger for spare time