pickup and trailer vs. landscape truck

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ajy, Sep 15, 2001.

1. ajy

ajy LawnSite Member

what are the advantages of getting a landscaping truck vs. your standard pickup and trailer. i currently have two toyota tundras and i anticipate expanding next year. i would also like to know from you guys that are using landscaping trucks, how do you like them. whick one works best hino, isuzu, chevy, ford, mitsubushi which one. i'm pretty sure there are good and bad points to them both and i would like to hear them.

2. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

It all depends what your focus is on in the industry, its a decision only you can make, but I'll point out some pro's of both.

Dedicated Box truck/van:

1. No trailer means more places to park, easier turning, etc.
    2. More advertising space then the side of a pickup
    3. Storage for all your daily equipment, saves loading and unloading time (enclosed trailer is the same, but you still have to take time to hook up the trailer)

Truck and trailer: Idealy for me it is a 1 ton dump truck with an enclosed trailer.

1. Hauling debris and building materials is MUUUCCCCHH easier
    2. Dumping capabilities
    3. If an enclosed trailer, the storage pro applies here along with the advertising one.
    4. Easier hauling large equipment, i.e. skid steer's, etc.
    5. A lot easier to use as a plow truck in the winter than a box would be.

What I think on the subject hopefully doesn't matter to you because like I said you know whats best for your operation, but I'm still going to give my opinion.

Like I said, I think the ideal setp would be a 1 ton mason dump with a 16' enclosed trailer. Its small enough to get into most spots and park, but its large enough to put up with some install and small construction work a lot better then the box truck. It just seems a lot more versatile to me.

The only time I would ever think of the dedicated box truck route, would be if I was running a strictly maintenance crew that wouldn't be picking up much debris over a days time.

Hope this helps some!

3. GreenStar

GreenStar Banned

i was at the chevy dealer the other day pricing this.i can get a 3500 cab over with a 16ft landscape beaver tail,over the top racks,blower and trimmer racks{similar to grid locks} and an auxilery fuel tank with pump for 32k.they have %5 intrest and it leases for 35000 miles a year up to 48months.i dont know if you ever drove a cab over but you cant beat it for manuvering.if you look at what a truck and enclosed trailer cost,figure a payment your pretty much even.my payment would be $630 month. i pay $500 for my 99 f350