Pickup bed to box body

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by ztec, Nov 5, 2007.

1. ztec

ztec LawnSite Member

I have an longbed silverado and I picked up a delivery contract that requires me to use a box truck even though a pickup would work fine. Anyway just wondering if anyone makes an 8ft box body....I cant seem to find less than 12. Also is there anyway to mount a 12 foot bed on a 8 ft frame? Are any of those bodies meant to be cantilevered over the frame?
  2. buttaluv

buttaluv LawnSite Senior Member
    from MidWest

I know some of the Mail guys around here that contract with the post office to deliver to rural areas have to have a sealed box for their pickups, one guy has one that he had made, like a camper shell only taller, My brother in-law bought one for a 1 ton duelly that is like what you see on the delivery trucks, I think he paid like 5500.00 for it though.
  3. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

we have something similar on our service truck, you take the tailgate off and it has something like ambulance doors on the back
  4. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

A 12 foot bed is too long for your truck. For that bed or box you need at least an 84" cab to axle measurement. With the standard 8' bed that distance is around 60" IIRC. If you were able to mount the 12 foot box on your truck there would be so much rear overhang that the rear axle would probably be overloaded before you put anything in the truck.