Pickup Dump bed

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by pjnlandscape, Feb 7, 2010.

1. pjnlandscape

pjnlandscape LawnSite Member

hey guys i am planning on getting a new to me super duty, and i wanted to know what everyone thinks about adding a hydraulic cylinder inder the pickup bed to make it a dump truck.

2. i don't think there worth whatever they charge for them.

3. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

I want to say that there was a thread that discussed this same thing, not too long ago. I think the decision was that a normal pickup bed was not strong enough to support the weight of the material in the bed when dumping. So if you were to do this, you would need to reinforce the bed underneath and on the sides. The only idea I like about those style dump units, is that you don't have the typical dump bed in the truck, so the truck looks "normal" and not always like a dump truck.

4. Pierce Arrow Inc

Pierce Arrow Inc Inactive

You can put a dump kit on a standard pick up bed. Most standard beds only have a 2 ton capasity. You might want to look at put a flat bed on the truck and moving up to a 5 ton, 7 ton or 10 ton dump unit. The 5 ton and bigger units can't be installed on standard pickup truck beds.

5. pjnlandscape

pjnlandscape LawnSite Member

I am looking into this because i am still in school and my work truck is also my personal truck, so the flat bed although useful is out of the question. Girls probably don't want to be driven to the mall or the Prom in a flat bed Lol. But is it possible to add a kit to a short bed super duty without reinforcing the bed? and how much do your kits cost?

6. DoetschOutdoor

DoetschOutdoor LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S. IL

Get a dump insert pjn if ya gotta have something that will dump. They are on here every now and then for cheap and will hold a few yards of mulch.

7. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

My truck has a service body on it and its both my personal and work truck. I like to think of it as a "chick magnet" it makes me stand out from the rest of the guys. But yet I am getting a different truck.:waving:

8. NIXRAY

NIXRAY LawnSite Senior Member

You shouldn't need a truck to pick up chicks

9. Pierce Arrow Inc

Pierce Arrow Inc Inactive

What is the year, make and model of the truck you looking to put one on?

10. MikeKle

MikeKle LawnSite Platinum Member

Ive seen ads for those kits that make any truck into a dumping bed, and thought it would be great for doing mulch and not having to shovel it out. I think the kits are pretty cheap, but Im not sure what they come with. Some may only come with the hyd. cylinder and brackets, and nothing else, like the needed parts to power the cylinder from the engine. I would make sure it came with everything you needed to do the conversion. Or you could find a schematic of the kit and just buy a cheap hydraulic cylinder and fabricate the brackets and hardware yourself. this would be the cheapest route to go, then you can be sure it is strong enough for whatever you plan to use it for. Hydraulic cylinders can be found very cheap, and this is the main component for this conversion.