pickup ramps

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by humeco, Feb 20, 2002.

1. humeco

humeco LawnSite Member

I am just getting back into the business and I have a small 5 by 8 trailer. I have a "42 tractor mower and just bought a "32 wb. Obviously I can't put both in the trailer at the same time. I can"t afford a 6 by 12 at this time so I was thinking about trying to rig up some type of ramps to put the wb in my Ford ranger pickup. Am I crazy or what? Is this an option?

2. I had an extra long tongue on the trailer so I could jackknife the trailer and unload without unhitching from the truck.

Must be a gutsy little Ranger you have to pull all of this. Do you think it'll do it? You might try loading them all up and see how it handles the load.

Trailers hold their value really well. Before you invest in ramps and whatever, you may want to reconsider a trade. It would keep the extra weight off of the back end of the truck.

Just my thoughts.

Dave

3. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

Last fall I had to haul two 36" hydro in the back of a 1-ton dump body because we had all the mowers we could stack on the trailer -LOL!!!

I didnt have the option for Daves option so what I did was use a set of wooden ramps with the Ramp-Art ends on them and then just drove the small hydro from the trailer onto the back of the truck.

One guy stood on the ends to prevent them from "flipping" up, and then when we had to unload I took a small piece of 2x4 and tacked it at the end of the planks to keep them from sliding forward.

The other option is the Handy Ramp set-up which works quite well too:
    http://www.handyramp.com/page2.html

4. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

lowes sells a set of aluminum ramps that ive used for yrs.
    i added an exsta aluminum strip between each of theirs for smoother loading.
    very light,and that really tells as the season wears on your back.
    im not using mine but guess i better hold on toum.cost about hundred i think.

5. mike payne

mike payne LawnSite Member

I used aluminum ramps for several months. They con be dangerous when it is wet out. Another lco, here in my town, broke his leg unloading a w.b. using ramps. Be careful.

6. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I rigged up a ramp with a 4x6 pressure treated ply painted with sand paint and put 3 - 2x10's underneath. The platform sits on the floor of the trailer until I would back off a mower then I could pull the ramp to the BUMPER of the truck. I used this setup for dumping grass in the pickup before I had a gate welded to the trailer. I took the tailgate off. Don't put the ramp on the tailgate unless you have a light mower or you will be bending and breaking stuff. If you want I'll post a pic of my current setup. I can drive anything into my pickup bed from my trailer. Good Luck.

7. JET

JET LawnSite Member

Mow Ed,

I would like to see your setup where you can drive from your trailer to your truck to dump grass. I am interested in doing something similar this season.

8. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

Wasnt there just an article similar to this in L&L??? They showed the guys running right up the trailers and into the trucks.

9. captdevo

captdevo LawnSite Senior Member

humeco,

check with my brother - in - law for a trailer.

he's a trailer dealer in New Port Richey, Fl.

I guarantee no one can touch his prices!

Lou Dobard
    3517 Alt. 19
    Palm Harbor, FL
    toll free 866 438-2556
    (727)847-2190

He advertises in:

www.autotrader.com

www.traderonline.com

loudoenterprises@aol.com

Dave

10. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic