Pickup Sides?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by N&CLandscaping, Feb 11, 2007.

1. N&CLandscaping

N&CLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Now that I have the truck, I want to put sides on it for the spring. Can anyone help me with this??? I want it to be solid, but I dont know where to start. The one thing that I do know is that a 2X4 wont fit in the holes in the bed....The holes are just shy of a 2X4. I need help lol. Any pics and advice is MUCH apreciated!!

2. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

I belive they are 2 X 3 slots.

Cheers
    Jeff

3. jinx 88

jinx 88 LawnSite Member
    from ozarks

I put side boards on a flatbed I had and 2x4's wouldn't fit either, so I had to cut them down a little. I put the stakes in to the heighth I needed and then attatched 1x12's to them. Seemed to work pretty good.

4. godzilla

godzilla LawnSite Senior Member

It's either 2x3's or 2x4's ripped down a bit. Put them in and then install either plywood or more boards to whatever height you want. IMO you are better off putting the other boards or plywood on the inside of the posts for structural reasons. However for aesthetic reasons you are better off putting the sides on the outside of the posts.

5. Lugnut

Lugnut LawnSite Senior Member

2x4's are really 1 and 3/4 of an inch by 3 and a 1/2 so you shouldn't have to shave it down too much if your slots are 2x3. And for your siding, i would reccommend using 2x6s, they will look nicer and will be stronger than throwing a sheet of plywood up

6. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

When I used the stake pockets of my f 250 bed I ran some 2x4 through the table saw and got them close. Used a angle grinder to finish trimming them down to size. Then I put 2 2x8 on their sides and bolted them to the 2x4s. I like the lines the 2x8 make over the plywood. Plywood just looks to flat to me.