pickup truck mounted fuel tanks - worth it?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by stinky rodent, Feb 23, 2004.

1. stinky rodent

stinky rodent LawnSite Member
    from nw ohio

any of you use the truckbox/fuel tank with pump set ups on your trucks? is it as convenient as it seems, or should i just use cans...
  2. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I looked into it recently myself. Some companies it would be great for. Others it wouldn't. I can't see paying the extra fuel cost of hauling all that added weight around for my business. Other companies it would be a great asset to.
  3. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

Got a 110 gal tank on one of my trucks. About once a month or so I drive over to KY and fill her up (About 10 cents a gal cheaper). Saves me money and time, plus I can add additional additives in bulk.
  4. dobehap

dobehap LawnSite Senior Member

I got a 55galon tank, dont want to be without one, no more 5 gallon cans everywhere.
  5. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I have a 50 gal. tank on my truck for off road diesel, as I have two diesel ZTR's. It sure saves time, not having to stop by the fuel dealer every couple of days to fill up plastic fuel cans. I can usually stop for a fuel fill-up about once/month.
    I also have a 25 gal. gas tank on one of my trailers. I only have to stop for a gas fill-up about once every 5-6 days.
    I highly recommend the use of large tanks for fuel storage. They also allow you to use a filter on the fill hose so you do not get trash in your mower tanks.:)
  6. twwlawn

twwlawn LawnSite Senior Member

Got two 55 gal tanks, gas & diesel. Been using them for years and keeps the equipment going. Get the tanks, they will save you time.
  7. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't you have to be placarded when you carry gas in a bed mounted or auxilary fuel tank?
  8. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Silver Member

In Maryland you have to have a fuel sticker for any fuel container over 5 gallons not permanatly attached to a piece of equipment that is consuming the fuel.
  9. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

We have one and it is the best thing we ever did. It saves our backs, time at the gas station, spills, dust & debris in cans, the list goes on. Ours pumps 15gal/min so it saves time on the jobsite, it is also great for filling up plow trucks in the middle of the night. As mentioned, make sure you put a filter on it, also make sure it is vented properly.
  10. little green guy

little green guy LawnSite Senior Member

I thought those tanks are only supposed to be used for desiel?