1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

pickup truck or cargo van

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by mikefromny, Feb 11, 2007.

1. mikefromny

mikefromny LawnSite Member

last season i used a pickup truck and trailer this year however i got a great deal on a 2004 ford e250 cargo van , i was just curious anyone use cargo vans? and a trailer? and how do you like working out of a cargo van and trailer vs pickup and trailer , just curious , cause now that i bought the van i was going to just sell it , but im kinda thinking about selling the pick up and keeping the van now
    let me know your 2 cents guys
  2. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

I put up the same question a few weeks ago. The consensus was that a van would be fine. It for would work for towing, out of site storage, more signage space, and place to hide out of the rain. The cons were gas smell from trimmers, gas tanks, etc, backing up is more difficult, carrying trash and mulch is more difficult. I decided to stick with the pickup.
  3. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

Id stick with a pick up if you plan to haul mulch,dirt,stone etc
  4. suprman9019er

suprman9019er LawnSite Member

I say go with the van. Not many people are doing it and it will set you apart. But i think if you are going to get the van you have to keep it looking very non-petifile like and make sure you have some great graphics and singage on it. I'm planning on switching to a van operation next year so if you do, let me know how it works out
  5. Mowgli

Mowgli LawnSite Member

If you can stand the smell of the gasoline, go w/ the van and also keep the trailer for hauling...
  6. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

As stated by another Lawnsite member....Vans are just creepy lol
  7. mikefromny

mikefromny LawnSite Member