Pickup Truck

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ztrguy, Jul 8, 2003.

1. ztrguy

ztrguy LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE FL

Anyone work out of your pickup truck with no trailer? Just wondering how it works for you all? I have a friend who lives in FL and has 3 pickups he uses for lawn service. Just wondering what kind of equipment you can fit in the bed? And how well it works out for you? If you use your pickup and no trailer drop me a line and tell me how things are. And a picture of your setup would help a lot too. Thanks

2. challenger55

challenger55 LawnSite Member

i work out of my pick up
    its not that hard to lift up the mower if you have help but for now it works for me until i get a bigger mower

honda mower 21in
    kaw trimmer
    sucky homelite b\p

3. RobH

RobH LawnSite Member

I worked for a guy for many years who cut out of a pickup truck. We could load two 48" W/B's on the truck. It had an 8 foot bed. However, you couldn't use the back gate when both machines were loaded. Both mowers were belt drive and the brakes were in the unlocked position and the mowers were in gear when sitting on the truck. This kept them from rolling backwards. We also used bungy cords to make things safer. We used two wooden ramps as well.

We had a garbage can on the truck with the weedeater engine part in the can (laying sideways of course) and the garbage can kept the weedeater from rolling around. We had a 22" push mower that sat on top of the walkbehind deck right behind the truck cabin. We also had two gas cans and a toolchest.

The setup worked well for many years.

4. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

I've worked out of pick-up trucks before. I believe the largest machine you can actually get in there width wise is a 52 / 54" walk behind. However in order to get that in there you have to lift the deck up over the wheel wells and obviously it has to be put on first. Largest machine you can get in there size wise is probably a walker with a 48" deck. It would JUST barely fit. If you go that road, have metal ramps because the thing is HEAVY. You might be able to get a 52" machine in there if you back it in or something.

5. CoachLinz

CoachLinz LawnSite Member

I work out of a pickup - '85 GMC Sierra Full Size 8 ft bed. I carry a 48" w/b, 22" trim mower, trimmer, blower, gas, tools, etc. A friend of mine uses a '78 Ford F150 and carries 2 48" w/b but no trim mower, 2 trimmers, 2 blowers, etc. It can be done easily w/ 48" mowers. Bigger gets a little trickier.

6. ztrguy

from NE FL

Do you have any pictures of your setup CoachLinz? Or you friends? Also, what kind of walk behind do you have? And do you turn it sideways? Or just walk it in? How much room do you have on each side of your mower? Thanks

7. Rob T

Rob T LawnSite Member

Used to carry a 52" Scag in the back of my pickup, would always back it in. Used two 2x8 wooden ramps. Made brackets to drop ramps into the bed rail pockets for transporting with the mower in back. Oh Yeh, can you say Fred Sanford!

8. ztrguy

from NE FL

How did you fit it in there? What kind of pickup did you use?

9. CoachLinz

CoachLinz LawnSite Member

ZTRGUY-
    I don't have any pics, but basically I have the trim mower sideways up by the cab since I only need it on a few lawns. Gas cans are up that way also under the trim mower's handle. The w/b is a 48" Bobcat and it fits between the wheel wells straight in with about 1/2" on either side, but it's easy to drive it right up in there. The trimmer goes on one side of it, wood ramps on the other, and blower sits behind the mower. Toolbox, etc is up in the cab. I've got room to spare.
    My buddy who carries 2 48" walkbehinds is at his limit on space and the trimmers and blowers are piled on top of the mowers. He doesn't carry a trim mower either. But unlike the the comment I saw above, he can close his tailgate without a problem. Everything fits, just real tight.
    If you're just running a basic setup like mine, you won't have any problems as long as you have an 8 ft bed on the truck. Also, you can fit up to a 54" deck, but anything over 48" requires some sort of way to raise the bed up to the top of the wheel wells or just drive it up over the wells. That's why I went with the 48", it fits right between the wells perfectly. I can unload and load quickly and have no complaints so far. I didn't have the option to go with a trailer because I have no place to store it/park it. I'm happy with this so far. Keep in mind, however, that I do this part time - mow 2 days/week - and landscape part-time - 1 to 2 days/week . I'm a teacher full-time so landscape jobs are limited to summer or Saturdays during the school year. The only issue I have is having to unload the truck when I have a landscape job that requires mulch,soil,stone, etc that need to pick up in the truck. Otherwise, it's a great set-up.

10. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I worked out of the pickup most of last year, but I'm back to using the trailer this year because I need more variety in my mower selection due to taking on more accounts with varying types of lawns.

I put a 48" lazer hp in the back of a Toyota tundra along with a 21" wb on the tailgate. I used a thing called a "safe t ramp" that inserts in the class IV hitch I had and holds up to 1200 lbs. You leave the tailgate down and it braces against that and the ramp folds up to hold the 21" mower on. Used bungees to secure and stabilize it and hold things inside. There was room to lay a trimmer in the bed beside the mower and fit a blower on the tailgate under the 21" mower bag. Also room for gas cans, and a bagger could be carried too. Not much else, though.

I liked:

The truck was super easy to get in places and back into traffic when needed.

I felt it was a little safer even with the higher center of gravity than towing a trailer

Truck accelerated quicker with less weight

Ramp removed quickly (but you'd better be strong, it's about 200 lbs) if I needed to use the trailer.

I disliked:

Took a little more time to load and unload than a trailer

Couldn't carry two types of large mower

Image: Might be confused with scrubby type w/ no trailer?????

Could get tricky getting ZTR up the ramp when wet. But it was full width and generally totally safe.

Not much room for carrying extra gear or clippings, but I generally worked around it ok.

If I move to where there is only one type of grass and only need a ZTR, I might go back to using it much of the year. I liked being able to get in any parking lot or driveway and out again w/o risking an accident backing into heavy traffic. It also takes up less space when parked between drives in areas with tiny lots.