1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Pickup vs Trailer

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Tommygunn, Apr 11, 2013.

1. Tommygunn

Tommygunn LawnSite Member

I'm a part time guy(15 yards week) and have used 2 21' mowers, trimmer, blower in back of pickup. I mulch so no need storage of clippings. I would like to purchase a 36' walk behind for efficiency, etc but not ready to purchase a trailer. Using ramps to load, how difficult is it to load/unload the 36. Any particular 36 WB anyonw recommends since I mulch only(if possible). Thanks All.
  2. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Fanatic

Find yourself a small 5x8 trailer, it will make life much easiler.
  3. kawakx125

kawakx125 LawnSite Bronze Member

it might work in a pinch, but loading and unloading a walk behind from a truck bed 15x a week is gonna get old after about 3 yards. find a cheap trailer and go that route.
  4. Colaguy

Colaguy LawnSite Senior Member

Get a small trailer. When I first started, I had a 36" Xmark I loaded in my truck bed. Easy to load with ramps but I had to remove the other stuff-tools, blower etc before unloading mower. Talk about a real time waster.
  5. JimsLocalLawn

JimsLocalLawn LawnSite Senior Member

I started in the bed of a pickup. Got a trailer and would NEVER go back. Loading and unloading is a pain and not possible when you start getting more and more equipment. Also if you do shrubs...where are you going to put the clippings? A trailer will allow you to grow more and take on more work on a daily basis.

A 36" Commercial walk behind weights about 500-600 pounds. That's a lot of weight to control coming off the ramps. It's asking for trouble... "IF" you insist of working out of the bed get the Timemaster 30" mower. Much less weight and a lot easier to take on and off the truck. Probably the best start up mower in your situation.

I agree with the above post, get a 5 x 8 trailer THEN get a 36" walk behind.

BROWNS LAWN CARE LawnSite Senior Member