picky mowing bid?? look and see. help please

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fastrunner, Mar 19, 2002.

1. fastrunner

fastrunner LawnSite Member

hi, i have a bid that i have to give. I was asked to take care of this lawn that is not that big at all, probably 4000 sq. ft. or so, really small, but is really thick and has many slopes, trees, bedlines, ect. he want the lawn push mowed and bag the clippings. HE just wants a price with the mowing. i think it would take about 20-25 minutes to mow, but alot of grass clippings to bag. thanks. any help will be greatly appreciated. it is irrigated and grows fast! thanks. jeff

2. ronslawncare

ronslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

what does that mean push mowed a 21 inch mower thats not self propelled.charge double of what its worth .30.00 at least

3. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

We have a number of those and have carved out a little nitche servicing those types of accounts.

Sounds like a $48 lawn.

4. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

$65.00 Show no mercy...why would anyone want you to push mow it ? Tell him you will use a 72" Diesel ZTR and see what the expression on his face is ! I had a customer ask me to push mow a 14,000 sq. ft. lawn and I said the smallest mower I would have to touch that is a 36" and thats only for the tight areas he said no I said BYE !!! I walked away...no I RAN away skipping and hopping !

5. mike payne

mike payne LawnSite Member

Be careful guessing the time needed to do a quality job. It could take 45mins or more and then add the cost of disposing the lawn clippings. If I bag the lawn clippings, I increase the base price by 50%.

6. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with Bunton Guy. I would go high with the price. This guy sounds like a PITA. I know that you'd probably like to get the work, but are you ready to deal with him coming out to nit pick every time you visit? Or phone calls because you missed a blade of grass? I've been in this situation and regret ever getting involved. Mike

7. TLC Lawn And Landscape

TLC Lawn And Landscape LawnSite Member

$30.00-$40.00. Sounds like this guy may be more trouble than he's worth. But if your up for a challange, take him on. Do a good quality job and it will pay off.

8. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

In 4000 sf how many possible slopes and obsticles could it possibly have?

I wouldn't do it myself, mainly because I'm not even going to carry a 21" for any lawn. But, I would definately price it much higher. I like the $65 figure.

9. jrblawncare

jrblawncare LawnSite Senior Member

The only 21 " mower I use is for the ditch in front of my home !!How bad do you want it ? 30.00 to 40.00 works.

TLC LAWN....Hows Hilton NY....I miss Home.

10. keifer

keifer LawnSite Senior Member

if you have the time do it. I charge 30 to 45% more to bag plus go a little higher than normal for the slope.