1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Pics - A Water Feature We Just Finished

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by JimLewis, Aug 22, 2007.

1. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

2. Zrock

Zrock LawnSite Member

Nice work!!! I really like all the different sizes of rock....such an important part of any well done pond.

3. jnd42697

jnd42697 LawnSite Member

That water looks to be moving pretty good. What size pump did you use? It looks great.
  4. JimLewis

We been using the Little Giant WGP-95 Pump. It's been great. I've used that pump for 4 different water features in the last 2 months. And that water feature is valved-down to about half the total possible flow rate too. Those are nice pumps and they will take care of business.

You should see and hear it when it's open full-bore. It sounds like a raging river!

5. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

Looks nice Jim! I just would have liked to see a bit more variation in your falls. It looks like a perfect set of steps. Maybe a small holding pond in the middle. Other than that, it looks real natural. Good quality install.

6. JimLewis

Yah, I totally agree. I am trying to get better at that. I've been taking notes on the really nice ones I see around town. That's one thing I've noticed is that ours seem to be a little too structured and lack the pools in the middle, like you described. We'll get better.
  7. poolboy

poolboy LawnSite Silver Member
    from earth

I agree with CG. Nice use of rock, looks very good.
  8. mcclureandson

mcclureandson LawnSite Member

"And that water feature is valved-down to about half the total possible flow rate too."...

The feature looks fine...however IMO you should be careful using a gate valve for anything other than 'fine-tuning' the flow over the weir (sic). It is most helpful when you need to divert portions of the mainline into several/staggered waterfall boxes...the problem with using a gate valve to "size" your pump is you can cause it to run off the proper curve and burn out much sooner. If you needed to dial that pump down to half its flow then you probably should have used a smaller pump. Calculate flow based on thickness of water desired over weir (1/2" requires X amount of gpm per linear foot etc...) and the usual formulas for 'head' etc...you can use a volt meter to check the pump is running properly. Keep adjusting gate valve until the amps fall into line with manufacturer's specs. Just my .02
  9. JimLewis

Well, I might have exaggerated a little there. It's probably open more than half. But we can definitely get even more flow when the valve is all the way open.

Still, I was told by the "pond expert" at our distributor (Horizon) that it was actually good to valve them down. That it increased the lifespan on the pump. He equated a pump with a wide open valve to an engine being revved up at 4000 RPMs all the time. That was contrary to what I had heard in the past but he's the one with their company whose been to all of the training classes on pond building. They actually flew him out to take classes on it so I trusted him.

I'll have to check into that though. I think you may be right.
  10. mcclureandson

mcclureandson LawnSite Member

Your pump guy shouldn't make comments like that...

Pumps are designed to run within a certain 'curve' - each pump manufacturer puts this information on a website, literature supplied with pump installation instructions etc...

If the motor is pulling either too many or too few amps it will effect the performance and life of the pump.

You size the pump based on calculations taken PRIOR to the installation and then use a gate valve to fine tune.

I've replaced alot of overly large pumps with gate valves closed half (or more) way.