PIC's:Black widows/poor system/backflow

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by CAPT Stream Rotar, May 5, 2007.

1. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

babies
    [​IMG]

one of the females..she was huge...kind of hard to see but she is there..

she was about 1 square inch in size, with what looked like another huge sack of eggs
    [​IMG]

Yup thats correct...thats the hatch i have to stick my bodyinto and turn on the system...also covered in Black widows...belive me i was very quick...
    [​IMG]

Im pretty sure this poor installer used GE silcone to set the mainfold t's
    [​IMG]

Very poor install...@ least the car is clean..

[​IMG]

2. CAPT Stream Rotar

This last step almost killed me. but thankfully the good lord graced me with another chance @ life......

[​IMG]

sprays N rotors!!!!!!!! clearly some serious installers put this in 3 sheets to the wind wrapper...
    [​IMG]

Anyone of you all know any tricks to get these to last longer?????
    [​IMG]

I belive this guy went to the irrigation school of "BUDWISER BEFORE NOON"
    [​IMG]

Why anyone would ever sleve pvc pipe i have no idea..peep the 1 inch poly sleve for the wire.......
    [​IMG]

Anyone care to take a guess on how old this PGP is?looks over 10 years.
    [​IMG]

3. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Those make me cringe. I am definitely afraid of spiders, but have gotten better about it.

Back in the early 90's when I was working for someone, I was the foreman and had two guys with me. I had to do the plumbing taps, and had to do one in a crawlspace similar to what your access looked like, but worse. Webs across the whole entrance and in the entire crawl space. It took me at least 3 hours to get my nerves up to do the plumbing. I was only going in there once, because if I came out I would never go back in. Made sure I brought in all the tools and parts needed, and I taped up my shirts sleeves and pant legs. Then I made the guys stay right at the entrance in case I freaked out or froze up. Told them to drag me out if I freaked. Went ok but I'll never do that again. Well, maybe for the right price!

4. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Since it is the "G" type, I believe it is at least 13 years.

5. CAPT Stream Rotar

Thanks i knew it was def 10 +...

What do you mean "G" type and what other types have there been? What type are they putting out now?sorry about the questions, but oddly I am curious....

6. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

If you look directly on top of the rotor it says .... Ta Da.... G-TYPE

7. I guess the G-type is a 94 or 95, I have old Hardie clocks still working since 89....and it could be that the PVC is sleeved so it does not take a beating from a mower or trimmer... and I believe that Toro made their own grease fitting packs back in the early 90's..

8. The Hunters have a date code on the upper turret and also a year date molded on the collar on the g-type and the pgp's....P series before the g-type

9. I bet some of the mess of that install is due to that brand new asphalt apron that used to be grass...

I don't critique installations of others anymore...because sometimes you cannot tell how many other hands have touched it...not to mention the extenuating circumstances that can cause things to look worse over time...

I'm sure some of my installations from the early 90's look like chit now as well....but they were perfect right after I got through...of course ;)

10. CAPT Stream Rotar

I know that silly goose..its kind of a hobby of mine to check out how long certain pgp's have made it.....oldest type i ever seen was prob 96-97....so not very old....but its still cool to see how long they lasted....
    as for this G-type i was not about to dig it up or mess with it to get a date..but took a pic to see if you guys had any input for myself(a lil pup).

That controler was acting weird..I think its gona be time for it to head out the pasture very soon....
    well guy s gotta jet