Pics from DLS inc.

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by Landscraper1, Nov 13, 2013.

1. TriCityLawnCareLLC

TriCityLawnCareLLC LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ohio

i may have missed it, but all your trucks or at least your 3500hd's are all 4x4, correct?

2. Landscraper1

Landscraper1 LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Southeastern Ma.

Yes, we plow with them.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. noahb195

noahb195 LawnSite Senior Member

I'm with Tri-City I want to see pictures of the shop and offices.

4. PLLandscape

PLLandscape LawnSite Senior Member

Impressive. Seems like you've followed the 30 year plan people talk about in business. First 10 you're figuring it all out, 11-20 you organize and become incredibly efficient, 21-30 your operation could possibly run without you from time to time.

I agree that slow is probably the best. It's harder for younger guys, I guess myself included although I'm not "young" just business young, to see your business and want to be just like it. But often times forget to read the line where you've been at this for 30 years, not 10.

Interesting on the gas trucks. I agree with it but I know most would probably disagree with it, for whatever reason.

5. Landscraper1

I wish it was as easy going as you laid it out, but it wasn't. Went through a lot of ups and downs.

This originally was a family business. My Dad and us 3 brothers. Younger brother left over 15 yrs ago. Dad retired shortly after. My older brother and I,(who were the 2 that originally started this at the age of 10 and 14) had to buy both of them out. We then grew the company to about 34 employees. We had a garden center, power equipment shop, florist, and the landscaping. The problem was we were getting deeper into the red, every year.

Starting about 2003, my brother and I were at odds and decided to cut back and split the company. I took over the landscaping and he kept the garden center. After the split, I had 13 employees and was over $150,000 in debt.

It was the best thing to happen to me. I was now in complete control to do things the way I always wanted to. Now, at 2013, I am out of debt, have 22 employees, and most of all, PROFITABLE.

So, within these 38 yrs, I learned a lot about what to do and most importantly, what not to do...

6. PLLandscape

PLLandscape LawnSite Senior Member

The most vital and priceless information out there....

I know it's not as rosy as I painted it but just shows it takes a LONG time to get to where you and others are. And the road can be quite bumpy.

7. TriCityLawnCareLLC

TriCityLawnCareLLC LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ohio

Thanks for sharing that. Not everyone wants to share their ups and downs. Thanks Again!:usflag:

8. ducnut

ducnut LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't even know what to say to this thread. It's so full of WIN and getting things right. Your equipment looks great. You have everything possible and stuff most of us can only dream about (because they don't make business sense). I can't fathom the enormity of running a company of this size, either. You're getting it done. WOW! :clapping:

9. Landscraper1

Just trying to keep it real!!

10. wayside

wayside LawnSite Senior Member

Great to see another Portuguese Landscaping company! Great fleet you have.