Pics of 247B2 Cab sealing

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by bobcat_ron, Jul 5, 2008.

1. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

I spent 2 days last week in the worst dust imaginable, and I was still getting dust inside, not on myself, but on the ventilation fan control box, which made me believe that I have a "hole" somewhere.
    This is what it looked like after 2 days, the filter on top of the fan has been removed, they are washable, so it was drying at the time of the pics:
    [​IMG]

I noticed that there was a 1/4" gap between the corners of the cab and the box frame, the rubber gasket wasn't even making proper contact inside the corner and I could easily stick my little finger under the seals between the cab and box frame.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

There was also dust/water that sat beside the cup holder and beside the seat mount platform:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I popped the cab up and bought some self adhesive foam tape, 1" x 3/16" and layed it down and doubled it up, peeling the plastic off the top to bond the two layers together better:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I went under the cab mount, it wasn't making enough contact with the foam on top of the box frame:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The corner was also dealt with as well as the frame sill plates, all around the front and the other side:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The only problem, all that extra foam under the existing factory weather stripping makes it harder to get the threads started on the bolts that hold the cab down, so I had to use a carpenter's clamp to push it down and then an air ratchet to suck everything down. It's tighter than a dolphin's arse now, but time and water will tell.

I have to admit, this cab is way better sealed than Bobcat's, the only spot where the dust accumulated was around the ventilation control box, in the Bobcat's, it's everywhere!

2. Ausman

Ausman LawnSite Senior Member

Ron

Go buy yourself a pressuriser unit and fit it it will also help. they are availible from Donaldson. They help a lot.

3. bobcat_ron

4. Ausman

Mounts to the back of the cab above the window.

5. bobcat_ron

Sounds like a lot of work, I was thinking that pressurizer fan and motor would be a direct drop in, but then you still need a filter.

6. Ausman

this unit has a filter precleaner and fan, you need to mount it and duct it into the cab.

i have not done one on a cat and i just checked i dont have a photo of the new ASV with it fitted yet.

7. J. Peterson Grading

J. Peterson Grading LawnSite Senior Member
    from IA

Ron.

Not much complaining, Just AZZ KICKING ACTION. Show that dust who's boss!

Face it you are my hero. Lol

J.

8. YellowDogSVC

YellowDogSVC LawnSite Gold Member
    from TX

How the He11 do you keep that thing so clean under the cab?

Here's my old 272c under cab with some of dealer's weather strip efforts to seal dust. This is also after a cleanout and vacuum and wash 16 hours prior to the pic.

weatherstripping.jpg

9. YellowDogSVC

YellowDogSVC LawnSite Gold Member
    from TX

I wonder if there are smaller units that would adapt to the Bobcat A/C system.

I wonder why the heck didn't CAT try and set something like that up on my 272c and save all of us a lot of down time?? Geez. That would have given a heck of alot of pressurized air and did away with the need for a snorkel if they could have found a place to fit it up.

10. Digdeep

Digdeep LawnSite Bronze Member

YellowDog..how do you clean it out down there without a removable belly pan? it looks like it would take hours to get it clean back by where the pump mounts to the engine.