Pics of a Patio we Installed Today.

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by tjsquickcuts, Dec 13, 2006.

1. tjsquickcuts

tjsquickcuts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Atlanta

Here are a few before photos of a small project we knocked out today.....There was nothing but pinestraw underneath the deck.....

Picture.jpg

Picture 001.jpg

Picture 002.jpg

Picture 003.jpg

Picture 004.jpg

2. tjsquickcuts

from Atlanta

a few more......

Picture 005.jpg

Picture 006.jpg

Picture 007.jpg

Picture 008.jpg

Picture 009.jpg

3. tjsquickcuts

from Atlanta

More Before pics...

Picture 010.jpg

Picture 011.jpg

Picture 012.jpg

4. tjsquickcuts

from Atlanta

Some after pics.....we have to go back tomorrow to brush in more sand, and just to re-check and make sure all is level and done right. Check is already in the bank, customers love it.....Will do a island in the back yard and a walk way leading to the front lawn in March.....

Picture 013.jpg

Picture 014.jpg

Picture 015.jpg

Picture 016.jpg

Picture 017.jpg

5. ACutAbovesiny

ACutAbovesiny LawnSite Senior Member

Kind of an odd place for a patio but the work looks good. What is the place used for?

6. VO Landscape Design

VO Landscape Design LawnSite Senior Member

tjsquickcuts---Do you like working with the large pavers? Nice work.
    VO

7. tjsquickcuts

from Atlanta

Well its Phase I of III.....We are going to plant a few emeralds to add some privacy to the patio and a island on the back lawn, and Phase III is a walk way to the front, as well as a walk way to the nature trail his back yard is connected to.....But as far as location, I tried my best to sell them on another design, but the homeowner insisted it was what they wanted. It was a dinger installing, because we consistently had to keep checking our level for run off.

I love working with large pavers.....quicker to install, but much harder to cut. It took about 4 plates before I finally got one of the blocks to fit just right.....Thanks for the compliments.....will have a full year of landscape Design specializing in Hardscapes in Feb. I know I still have a lot to learn, but we have done a lot of jobs, that are really starting to get a lot of attention. This type of patio was first, but wont be the last because we already have 3 more sold to other homeowners in the neighborhood that didn't get the concrete slab from the builders......Will post more pics of other work when I take vacation in a week....

8. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

It looks like you excavated all of that by hand??? That couldn't have been fun.

From the pictures, here's a few comments:

It's hard to tell, but not sure how much native material you excavated. It looks a little shallow. We'll usually lay about 8" of compacted 3/4" CBR base for a patio, then sand, then pavers

One of the other pics, it looks like you did your entire base with sand? Again, I'm just commenting on what I see in the pic, which is lots of piles of sand, but I could be wrong.

I'm not a big fan of the slabs... to me, they kinda have a cheap look to them. I much prefer pavers. Again, some customers want the pavers, or it's a budget issue, but I always try to upsell pavers when someone wants the slabs. Not a big fan of those garden blocks either. Sorry.

I think the install looks ok, but it simply doesn't do a lot for me cuz I'm not a big fan of any of the hardscape materials you used.

What do you mean by "checking our level for run off"

9. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

Looks good but I have to comment on specifications and failures. As stated above, the excavation MUST be deep enough to accommodate 4" of aggregate, 1" of bedding sand, and 3" for the pavers. This is 8" of excavation. Because the soil is an organic clay (GA red clay) it could've used a geotextile or more aggregate to compensate. I know this means more work and a higher bid, but it also produces a proper product that will last the lifetime of the home and beyond.

Remember that all our failures reflect on the entire industry.

All-in-all it is a beautiful patio!

10. tjsquickcuts

from Atlanta

Thanks for the feedback, I really do appreciate it.....As far as the base, missed the pics of the Portland and Coarse Concrete sand **recommended by my Pavestone supplier** being tilled together with the Red Clay**and boy is this Red Clay here in Ga tough**and being compacted....from my notes, we excavated, and yes all by hand and pick because of how small the area was we were working in. It didnt get too bad until about 5 inches down.....but anyway, we excavated about 8 inches. We filled in 4.5 inches of portland cement mixed with coarse concrete sand. Compacted down, and filled in with paver sand....put about 4 inches of paver sand, smooth everything out, and started laying down the stones.....as far as checking my level.....there is a slight slope so just had to keep it consistent for proper drainage...didnt want any puddling on the patio because of how the builders graded the land.....I guess I should have said drainage instead of run off. I know there a few things we will improve on, but to have less then one year of installing hardscapes, I think we are doing pretty good so far. We just got back from doing a second inspection, and taking a lot of notes for future jobs we have. Each plate is 16x16, and was much easier to work with in my opinion, but the smaller pavers do add more flavor.....

***Remember that all our failures reflect on the entire industry.***Team-Green L&L***

That is a great comment, about to print this out and post it in both my trucks....Well we gave the homeowner our standard 120 day warranty, and we stand behind all the work we do no matter what...(unless its something out of our control like mothernature when she is at her worst, etc...).....But the homeowner was excited and very happy. We are working on two more in the same neighbor as we speak....will post pics of those as soon as we are done......Just going to take us a few days because we are still running our regular lawn mtce schedule and trying to get everyone ready for xmas. But I posted the pics for feedback, so keep on feeding me so I can become one of the best if not the best...LOL.....:cool2: ...... But thanks again for your comments, and please believe I take advice because I am still sort of a student and still have a few more things to learn.....