1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Pics of almost a VERY bad day

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ElephantNest, Apr 16, 2004.

1. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

I maintain a closed down K-Mart here in town; the islands in the parking lot, and a field on the side. City is "supposed" to take care of the rest. Anyway, doing the field today, made my first pass along the wall, got to the end which is the driveway going behind the building, and went to make my turn on the concrete and almost ran over this HUGE mass of bees. Never seen anything like it before.....they were just piled in a circle on the concrete.....about double the size of a large pizza. A few were buzzing around, but most were just climbing over each other, keeping in a fairly tight circle. WILD.

Look closely at the grass near them, that's how close I came to running smack over them.....as I was turning I saw them and freaked out, hauled it outta' there at full speed! Grass actually hit them and a few of them buzzed me.

Wow, close call! I'm highly allergic to top it all off.

2. ElephantNest

from La.

Another angle of the suckers

3. ElephantNest

from La.

One last shot...anyone know what would make them do this?

4. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Wow, you better play the lottery today!:p You one lucky man. I've never seen bees do that really strange.
  5. Randy J

Randy J LawnSite Bronze Member

Were they looking for warmth? You are fortunate on that one.

6. Grass King

Grass King LawnSite Member

It isn't nothing but honey bees. They do that when the halve spits, in that bunch a queen bee. They will form their own halve.
  7. The C Man

The C Man LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

There was probably a girl bee in the middle who popped her top :eek:
  8. imograss

imograss LawnSite Senior Member

They were keeping Mama warm:rolleyes:
  9. You tell em C man
  10. Steve9

Steve9 LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Do you think you could fight off a swarm with a backpack blower? Sounds like we need to call the boys from "Jackass."