1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Pics of Case 440

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by allinearth, Jan 18, 2008.

1. allinearth

allinearth LawnSite Senior Member

Hope it works. Should be before and after VTS.:weightlifter:

Attached Files:

2. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

Wow, that's some rust you got on that VTS!!

But it actually blends in with the Case paint!

3. allinearth

Just suface rust. Looks worse in the pic than it is. Maybe just from the reflection of that beautiful orange paint.:usflag: Those tracks sure were glad to be off that yellow pos! Notice the 1845 in the background. The guys chose that to put the tracks on the 440 instead of the cat.

4. KRtraxx

KRtraxx LawnSite Senior Member

Yes the paint on the VTS is not that great.The good thing about it is that you can make one look good in no time if you so desire.If they used powder coat it wouldnt be that easy.
    I have sold quite a few of these and a word of advise on the 70XT and the 440 is that some guys had a few axle problems with the VTS on these 2 models.Specially the 18" sets..For some reason Case did not put as large of axles on these as the rest of their 80HP machines,and some axles have broke.Loegering is aware of the issue,and has been directing the customers towards the smaller and lighter 15" sets.If you do happen to have an issue with the axles go down to your Case dealer and get yourself an axle assembly from an 85XT.This will solve the problem permanently since the axles are big the full length of the shaft and arent machined down like the 440 ones are.Lets hope its not an issue for you Earthworker.But if you do at least you know the answer now.You will be amazed at what you can do with those on that unit.Hope you enjoy them and they make you some bucks...

5. Construct'O

Construct'O LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Sw Iowa

My junk dialup connection doesn't want to load your pictures so i'll have to take Ron's word on the rust.:confused:

Maybe tomorrow they will show up when i have more time to go and read while they load.

Thanks for sharing even if i can't see them.Maybe KSSS will get his pictures posted on here soon.Good luck!!!!!!!! Rust and all:):usflag:

6. allinearth

Got 3yr or 3000 hrs warranty on drive train to find out if I will have axle prob. I am assuming drive train includes axles but I did not check. I am not taking them off now, too hard to get them on. Hey krtraxx, do you know if the corner of the fender should be trimmed? Looks awful close to rubbing.

7. KRtraxx

KRtraxx LawnSite Senior Member

Yes Earthworker some guy have trimmed that corner a bit for some clearance.It shouldnt take much.I'm not sure about Cases policy as far as covering the axles in a situation like this..I would hope they would.
    Trust me you are NOT going to want to take these off once you see what is possible with them.With the axle torque the 440 puts out you will be surprized to say the least.Looking down the road,if/when you have to replace your track bands the new ones come with a little less aggressive tread and will ride a bit better due to less vibration on hard ground.The rest of the UC has been bullet proof..Be aware that the original track bands are of a harder compound and WILL show cracking as the hours go by.Dont worry about it.They will still run as long or longer than anybody elses will,with no derailing and are less money to replace to boot..

8. dozerman21

dozerman21 LawnSite Bronze Member

Earthworker- Nice machine!:drinkup: Out of curiosity, did you consider a 440CT if you're planning on leaving the tracks on? Was the 440CT much more?

KRtraxx- When those are ran in heavy mud, do they pack in and bogg machines down? It looks like they could be a nightmare to clean out.

What's the average life span that you've seen out of the bands? Also, how much are the VTS kits selling for now (ballpark). The last time I checked they were around 13, 14K for the wider tracks.

9. allinearth

While testing them at the shop today I noticed that I could spin the tracks much easier than I could with the cat. I figured it was because of less weight on the machine and slightly frozen ground. Could be the added torque. Seemed like a beast in what little time I was on it.

10. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

You can always switch to the Mclaren or AirSoft(??) tracks to get a smoother ride on the VTS.