1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

PICS of fixed toro 21" deck

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by z_clark, Aug 9, 2006.

1. z_clark

z_clark LawnSite Senior Member

I had posted with my broken 21" deck about a week ago. Here is a pic of it broken.

2. z_clark

Here is a pic of it fixed. Cost $35 + tax. As good as new :) Same mulching performance.

I was told it would be hard to find some one to weld the aluminum, but the welder I normally use did it.

3. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

Thats all you can do. Well paint it too so it dont rust
  4. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

LMAO!!! rust... good one! we know you were joking, right? hehe :dancing:
  5. z_clark

Will aluminum rust???? Will the welding filler stuff rust???

Yeah, I may slap some red on 'er this weekend.... She has some hours on her, my best guess is at least 1200, possibly more. On the 2nd set of tiers, and the muffler housing fell off.

Theses Honda engines just keep goin'! :)
  6. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Thats some good looking beads he layed on there, Good Job. [​IMG]
  7. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Awww man......I missed that one !!! [​IMG]
  8. Kartracer55

Kartracer55 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Lighten up on the guy. In a way you guys are wrong yourselves. We have all said some dumb things at one time or another. Lets play nice now...

Rust is a form of corrosion and as a matter of fact aluminum corrodes as well. In fact FASTER than steel does. As soon as you cut through a piece of aluminum the exposed surface begins to develop a layer of Aluminum Oxide, whichis a protective layer that keeps it from corroding further. Its called passivation (ahh, remember chemistry :dizzy: ) Other metals, such as stainless and copper do something similar as well. That is why you need to rough up aluminum prior to welding. The Oxide layer makes it a little more difficult to weld.

Can you post a closeup of the beads? Im curious as to what process he used.

With a true weld, the filler metal has to be very similar, and in same cases identical to the material being welded. Think about it, your using heat to melt the two pieces of metal together and introducing the filler (one way or another) into the molten puddle. The idea is that as it cools it becomes one solid mass. If the metals were different, they wouldnt join. That is the basis of the aluminum backing trick for bridging sheetmetal gaps on a car... molten steel wire wont bond with aluminum.

You dont need to paint it, but I would for appearance. Looks more... professional?

9. nt1

nt1 LawnSite Senior Member

How it the patch holding up so far?

Just noticed a crack/small hole in almost the same area on one of my toros about the size of a racket ball. I suppose it needs fixing before it gets any worse, just had the transmission rebuilt(spring 2006) and the motor is strong.
  10. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

i wish i could weld aluminum that nice. he11 of a job!