Pics of huge rock

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by MRBsx2, Feb 28, 2007.

1. MRBsx2

MRBsx2 LawnSite Member

Heres a few pics of some big A$$ rocks we dug out of my buddys field that they plant corn in....They wanted them out so they didnt have to plant around them. they farm 7,000 acres so that kinda stuff bothers them

hyattsville 004.jpg

hyattsville 005.jpg

hyattsville 007.jpg

2. jeffscap

jeffscap LawnSite Member

Nice pics! Make nice landscape stones or corner markers with engravement.
    I didn't know maryland had 7,000acres LOL!:waving:

3. dozerman21

dozerman21 LawnSite Bronze Member

Those aren't too shabby! Not quite as big as these bad boys, but descent nonetheless!:):drinkup:

That's some nice equipment. Do they belong to your buddy, or are they rentals?

Heavy Equipment 028.jpg

4. Swampy

Swampy LawnSite Bronze Member

LOL next time I got drill that I go to Ft. McCoy. I'll take pictures of this big rock we found painted red thats a landmark for incoming helo's.

5. dozerman21

dozerman21 LawnSite Bronze Member

MBRsx2- Here's an idea for those rocks. This guy's work is awesome. He's out of Iowa (Construct'O, is that you!:) ).

His name is Ray "Bubba" Sorensen. Here's a link to his webpage: http://www.bubbazartwork.com/

Enjoy!:usflag: :clapping:

rock1.jpg

rock3.jpg

rock4.jpg

rock6.jpg

Patriot Rocks.jpg

6. Construct'O

Construct'O LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Sw Iowa

Dozerman
    Wish i could paint that good i wouldn't have to run equipment.That is located about 45 miles from me close to Greenfield ,Iowa.It is right along Hwy 25.There is an old rock quarry there.

I didn't know you could raise crops in fields with rocks that size and "RED DIRT" i thought it had to be black dirt all this time.:usflag:

Great pictures and nice looking equipment.:drinkup:

7. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

cool...we had a rock in the way of a long driveway as big as our F550 service truck...and it was right next to a river!!! you usually don't see rocks so big next to a river...well after our 15ton trackhoe, backhoe, and 955L couldnt get it out combined we ended up filling the sides with rip-rap and regrading the driveway over top of it (only about 8" was sticking out above ground)

8. Construct'O

Construct'O LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Sw Iowa

Dozerman
    Looks like you have a pretty good size load yourself :weightlifter: !!!!!! Nice picture also.

9. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Those are not big rocks I have seen bigger. One job I was on there was a granite boulder that stood 5 feet tall about 6 foot wide and 16 feet long. A 690 Deere could barely slide it the 160 sized machine wouldn't budge it.

At one of the gravel mines in the area they enounter boulders that weigh 15 ton or more. They are getting new rock crusher that will handle boulders that size.

Easy way of dealing with bigger nuggets is either use a rock hammer on a excavator to split them or drill a hole and use a stick of dynamite.

10. tallrick

tallrick LawnSite Senior Member

WOW i have never seen a rock big enough to tip over a crawler loader like that. Florida just doesn't have many loose rocks anyway.